From David Lutterkort <lut...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [deltacloud-devel] Moving Core to the incubator
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2010 19:09:47 GMT
On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 09:13 -0400, Carl Trieloff wrote:
> I would also suggest that a release is planned in short order, this is a
> good
> exercise to go through an incubator release vote process which flushing any
> outstanding legal etc, and makes future releases easier.

Yes, that's my intention. Here's what I want to have done before we put
the release to a vote:

      * Fix all the broken unit and feature tests (there's quite a few
        because of recent API churn)
      * Set up automated builds of Deltacloud in Hudson
      * Do a final, final review of the current API with the goal that
        we can declare the API that is in the release stable[1]

When this is all done, we can start the release process proper with
voting, legal etc.

David

[1] For Deltacloud, the overriding concern with stability is that
existing clients can use newer releases of the server without any change
to the client. The only thing that clients need to do for that is that
they ignore unknown entries in the responses, so that we can evolve the
API by adding new elements to the XML/json the server sends back.

The rest practices guide[2] we've been compiling lists the kind of
things we should worry about for this exercise.

One of the API features that I want to disable for an intial stable
release are the storage snapshots and volumes bits in the API - not
because they are bad, but simply because we haven't spent enough time
making sure they are as applicable across clouds as they can be. I hope
we'll be able to turn them back on in the second release.

I'd highly appreciate help with reviewing the current API. The simplest
way to get a feel for it is to check out the code, run the mock
driver[3] and stare at the XML that is generated (if you're doing it
from a browser, append '.xml' to all URL's) and report any concerns you
might have on this list.

[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud_APIs_REST_Style_Guide
[3] http://deltacloud.org/drivers.html Username/password for the driver
is missing from that page. It's mockuser/mockpassword