incubator-cvs mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Incubator Wiki] Update of "December2018" by Justin Mclean
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2018 21:37:15 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Incubator Wiki" for change notification.

The "December2018" page has been changed by Justin Mclean:
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/December2018?action=diff&rev1=97&rev2=98

Comment:
final report reflowed

- = Incubator PMC report for December 2018 =
+ 	= Incubator PMC report for December 2018 =
+ 
+ ** FINAL DO NOT EDIT **
  
  === Timeline ===
  ||Wed December 05 ||Podling reports due by end of day ||
@@ -71, +73 @@

  We also had a discussion about lowering the bar for IPMC members and seeing 
  how they potential candidates can be more easily recognised. While unusual
  at the  ASF, we've asked people to self identify, they will still be voted 
- on by the IPMC, and several have come forward and have been voted in. Several 
+ on by the IPMC, and several have come forward and have been voted in. 
- had more than enough merit and had gone unnoticed or looked over by the IPMC 
+ Several had more than enough merit and had gone unnoticed or looked over
- and in a couple of cases were extremely obvious candidates.
+ by the IPMC and in a couple of cases were extremely obvious candidates.
  
  As a result of both of these we have 17 new IPMC members and several new 
  mentors.
@@ -209, +211 @@

  Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
  aware of?
  
- No.
+   No.
  
  How has the community developed since the last report?
  
@@ -336, +338 @@

  Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
   
   1. Execute the SGA between EPAM and the ASF so code can be imported.
-  2. Move bug tracking system including project backlog to Apache issue tracking system –
in progress
+  2. Move bug tracking system including project backlog to Apache issue 
+ tracking system – in progress
-  3. Work toward an initial Apache release – in progress, first release planned for EOY
+  3. Work toward an initial Apache release – in progress, first release 
+ planned for EOY
   
- Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware of?
+ Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware 
+ of?
   
    Nothing at this point of time.
   
  How has the community developed since the last report?
   
-   We are not at the stage of building community so far, but we hosted two workshops recently
+   We are not at the stage of building community so far, but we hosted two 
-   and hope to have ˜2 potentials contributors from it. Also we hosted two conferences and
hope to 
-   have some contributors from it.
+   workshops recently and hope to have ˜2 potentials contributors from it.
+   Also we hosted two conferences and hope to have some contributors from it.
   
  How has the project developed since the last report?
   
-   Initial committers have submitted their Apache ICLA, subscribed to all mailing lists and
created
+   Initial committers have submitted their Apache ICLA, subscribed to all 
+   mailing lists and created
    Jira accounts. Functionality added:
- ·         Added support of Java libraries installation
+     · Added support of Java libraries installation
- ·         Added support of Spark configuration from Web UI
+     · Added support of Spark configuration from Web UI
- ·         Implemented support for deployment into two VPC’s for AWS version
+     · Implemented support for deployment into two VPC’s for AWS version
- ·         Added support for DLab to not use public IP’s for MS Azure
+     · Added support for DLab to not use public IP’s for MS Azure
- ·         Redesign of DLab Web UI for roles management – in progress
+     · Redesign of DLab Web UI for roles management – in progress
- ·         Update version of Zeppelin/Spark/EMR – in progress
+     · Update version of Zeppelin/Spark/EMR – in progress
- ·         Scheduler in idle time – in progress
+     · Scheduler in idle time – in progress
   
  How would you assess the podling's maturity?
  Please feel free to add your own commentary.
@@ -376, +382 @@

   
  When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
   
-    We are still operating with the set of initial committers.
+   We are still operating with the set of initial committers.
   
  Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
  through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
  that need to be addressed.
   
-      Mentors are very helpful and try to resolve any issues immediately.
+    Mentors are very helpful and try to resolve any issues immediately.
-      Open issues:
+    Open issues:
- ·         None of contributors have access to create JIRA SCRUM/Kanban boards 
+     · None of contributors have access to create JIRA SCRUM/Kanban
-          (we have migrated the tickets, but can’t formaly create a release/sprint)
+     boards (we have migrated the tickets, but can’t formaly create
+     a release/sprint)
  
  Signed-off-by:
  
@@ -398, +405 @@

  
  IPMC/Shepherd notes:
      Justin Mclean: Report was submitted past due date, mentors hadn't been
-     paying attention but should now.
+     paying attention but should be now, however still missing sign-offs.
  
  --------------------
  Daffodil
@@ -526, +533 @@

  
    - Druid 0.12.3 (non-Apache) was released on 2018-09-18.
    - Druid 0.13.0-incubating has been proposed and is currently in the 
+   voting phase
- voting 
-   phase
  
  When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
  
@@ -857, +863 @@

  
  Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
  
-  1. Finishing SGA and ICLA
+   1. Finishing SGA and ICLA
-  2. Prepare the official website and English documentation
+   2. Prepare the official website and English documentation
-  3. Migrate the source code to Apache code repository
+   3. Migrate the source code to Apache code repository
  
  Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
  aware of?
  
- None
+   None
  
  How has the community developed since the last report?
    * The mail lists have been established.
@@ -925, +931 @@

  
  Myriad enables co-existence of Apache Hadoop YARN and Apache Mesos together 
  on the same cluster and allows dynamic resource allocations across both 
- Hadoop
- and other applications running on the same physical data center
+ Hadoop and other applications running on the same physical data center
  infrastructure.
  
  Myriad has been incubating since 2015-03-01.
@@ -941, +946 @@

  aware of?
  
    A new release is coming, the community is engaged in the process of 
-   creating
-   versions every quarter. The new PPMCs are beginners creating releases in 
+   creating versions every quarter. The new PPMCs are beginners creating
-   the Apache way, and probably they will need some kind of assistance from 
+   releases in the Apache way, and probably they will need some kind of
-   the mentor side.
+   assistance from the mentor side.
  
  How has the community developed since the last report?
  
@@ -1142, +1146 @@

  
  IPMC/Shepherd notes:
  
-   Drew Farris (Shepherd) - Mentors active on the mailing lists, active development, and
progress towards graduation observed.
+   Drew Farris (Shepherd) - Mentors active on the mailing lists, active 
+   development, and progress towards graduation observed.
  
  --------------------
  OpenWhisk  
@@ -1164, +1169 @@

  https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-release).
        b. We have made the initial releases of 12 core software components.  
    In the process we have developed some release automation, but there is a 
-    need to further automate the process and formalize the mechanisms for make 
+    need to further automate the process and formalize the mechanisms for 
+ make 
     a coordinated release of all components.
     2. Increase additional company and individual Contributors to maintain 
     all project repos. and address Issue / PR backlog.
@@ -1177, +1183 @@

    (partly due to #2 above). As of this report, the "open" issue backlog on 
    the "main" platform repo is 397 (up from 384 as of last report). The open 
    PR count on the main repo has held steady at around 30 (down from 50+ 6 
-   months ago), but still 1/3 of the ready-to-merge PRs are more than 1 month 
+   months ago), but still 1/3 of the ready-to-merge PRs are more than 1 
-   old.  The PR and Issue backlog on other project repositories is generally 
+   month old.  The PR and Issue backlog on other project repositories is
-   much lower and of less concern than the Issue backlog on the main repo.
+   generally much lower and of less concern than the Issue backlog on the
+   main repo.
     2. Need to prioritize and work to reduce while advancing major proposals 
-   around restructuring around abstractions to accommodate running on Knative 
+   around restructuring around abstractions to accommodate running on 
-   while enhancing support for better logging/scheduling and performance 
+   Knative while enhancing support for better logging/scheduling and
-   testing enhancements.
+   performance testing enhancements.
     3. Trying to add more active Committers to augment those who have 
    dropped off in their activity; however, we have reached an impasse where 
    potential new Contributor pull requests are not getting timely 
@@ -1192, +1199 @@

     4. The project is still working on establishing an open staging 
    environment to enable proper testing without depending on closed testing 
    infrastructure at involved companies. Unfortunately, even after finally 
-   arranging a corporate donation to the ASF in June to support this need, it 
+   arranging a corporate donation to the ASF in June to support this need, 
-   took until late October for Apache Infra to finish provisioning the 
+   it took until late October for Apache Infra to finish provisioning the 
    machines. 
    5. Formal hand-off of OpenWhisk trademark/logo from IBM needs to be 
    executed; need to identify process for this. See #3 above.
@@ -1203, +1210 @@

      graduation.
     6. Announcements from Google (Knative) in late July and AWS 
    (Firecracker) just last week apply pressure on our community in order to 
-   both explain to developers/operators how OW is differentiated from, as well 
+   both explain to developers/operators how OW is differentiated from, as 
-   as compatible with, both popular providers’ frameworks.
+   well as compatible with, both popular providers’ frameworks.
  
  How has the community developed since the last report?    
    * dev mailing list activity – was relatively light with the main 
@@ -1286, +1293 @@

              Shawn Black: Architect at a reinsurance company in St. Louis.
              Stanciu - at Adobe, joined runtime team a few weeks ago
              Victor: Grad. student at USC. Working on a thesis on real-time 
-             computing in the Cloud.  Goal is looking into how to apply real-time 
+             computing in the Cloud.  Goal is looking into how to apply 
-             components into OpenWhisk.
+             real-time components into OpenWhisk.
              Markus: now with Red Hat
              Prabhash Rathnayake, intern at WSO2, proposed JIRA package to 
              catalog
@@ -1299, +1306 @@

      Google Knative
  
          Knative and the general popularity of Kubernetes is driving the 
-         community to design and document how OW can be compatible with Knative 
+         community to design and document how OW can be compatible with 
-         concepts of “Serving”, “Build” and “Eventing”.  Primarily we are increasing

+         Knative concepts of “Serving”, “Build” and “Eventing”.  Primarily
-         our friendliness to the Kube community to hopefully attract more developers 
-         to help us by improving Kube deployment docs and configs. for both 
-         developers and operators to more easily “get started”.
-         Proposals on Wiki have stalled since Sept. need to revitalize the 
-         conversation.
+         we are increasing our friendliness to the Kube community to
+         hopefully attract more developers to help us by improving Kube
+         deployment docs and configs. for both developers and operators to more
+         easily “get started”. Proposals on Wiki have stalled since Sept. need
+         to revitalize the conversation.
  
      Release process
  
          Initial releases of all “core” repos (both back-end platform and 
-         front-end tooling) are complete.  We are adding the release of the new IBM 
+         front-end tooling) are complete.  We are adding the release of the 
-         donation of Composer at the time of authoring this report (currently 
+         new IBM donation of Composer at the time of authoring this report 
-         undergoing IPMC VOTE).
+         (currently undergoing IPMC VOTE).
          Rename of all "packages" (lib.) names to "apache.org", see: Re: 
-         Change the package name into org.apache.openwhisk for openwhisk modules
+         Change the package name into org.apache.openwhisk for openwhisk 
+         modules
  
          We look forward to creating a unified release to assure we have a 
-         major/minor version that is tested to be compat. with one another (as now 
+         major/minor version that is tested to be compat. with one another 
-         all are disparate releases).
+         (as now all are disparate releases).
          Need more mentor help at getting release votes through IPMC.
  
      Website revamp
  
          Completed.  Now linking in critical developer and operator docs. to 
-         be friendlier and provide “how tos” / tutorials to teach OW key features 
+         be friendlier and provide “how tos” / tutorials to teach OW key 
-         such including Web Actions, Provider samples,  Added “getting started” 
+         features such including Web Actions, Provider samples,  Added
-         sections for Ruby and Swift, as well as for new Docker Desktop (with 
-         Kubernetes).
+         “getting started” sections for Ruby and Swift, as well as for new
+         Docker Desktop (with Kubernetes).
  
      Runtime updates:
  
          ActionLoop (part of Go Runtime as of today), supports a general, 
-         very fast mechanism for creating new Runtimes (or migrating existing). See
+         very fast mechanism for creating new Runtimes (or migrating 
+         existing).
  
          New runtime for the .NET language needs to be taken “over the 
          finish line"
@@ -1390, +1399 @@

  
    [X](openwhisk) Bertrand Delacretaz
       Comments: I have asked on list for clarification on the "It seems that 
-    Apache Infra. will not provide us servers" comment, to see what could be done.
+      Apache Infra. will not provide us servers" comment, to see what could
+      be done.
    [X](openwhisk) Jim Jagielski
       Comments:
+ 
+ IPMC/Shepherd notes:
-      Justin Mclean: There was a conversation that mentioned unapproved releases
+      Justin Mclean: There was a conversation that mentioned unapproved 
-      on the dev kist. This situation needs to be clarified.
+      releaseson the dev kist. This situation needs to be clarified.
  
- IPMC/Shepherd notes:
  --------------------
  Pony Mail
  
@@ -1454, +1465 @@

    [ ](ponymail) John D. Ament
       Comments:
    [x](ponymail) Sharan Foga
-      Comments: Some work really needs to be done on community building to get more people
involved with the project. I suspect that there are a few users within several ASF projects
so reaching out to them for feedback could be good way to get some interest started.
+      Comments: Some work really needs to be done on community building to 
+      get more people involved with the project. I suspect that there are
+      a few users within several ASF projects so reaching out to them for
+      feedback could be good way to get some interest started.
  
  IPMC/Shepherd notes:
  
@@ -1464, +1478 @@

  SAMOA provides a collection of distributed streaming algorithms for the most
  common data mining and machine learning tasks such as classification,
  clustering, and regression, as well as programming abstractions to develop 
- new algorithms that run on top of distributed stream processing engines (DSPEs).
+ new algorithms that run on top of distributed stream processing engines 
+ (DSPEs).
  It features a pluggable architecture that allows it to run on several DSPEs
  such as Apache Storm, Apache S4, and Apache Samza.
  
@@ -1764, +1779 @@

  
  IPMC/Shepherd notes:
  
-   Drew Farris (shepherd) - Mentors active on mailing lists, active progress towards graduation.
+   Drew Farris (shepherd) - Mentors active on mailing lists, active progress 
+   towards graduation.
  
  --------------------
  Spot
@@ -1868, +1884 @@

    3. Align on a long-term product roadmap with the broader Apache Superset 
    community.  As a part of planning our first Apache release, we would also 
    like to build out the high-level roadmap for the project with a look 
-   ahead of 1 year.  We plan to create this by starting a discussion thread on 
+   ahead of 1 year.  We plan to create this by starting a discussion thread 
-   dev@superset.incubator.apache.org  to work collaboratively on a vision 
+   on dev@superset.incubator.apache.org  to work collaboratively on a vision 
    and roadmap for 2019.
  
  Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware 
@@ -1877, +1893 @@

    * Discussions happening offline from email - The 
    dev@superset.incubator.apache.org email list has not been very active as 
    a channel of discussion.  To be clear, this is both a result of 1) when
-   the list started, GitHub spammed the email list with notifications and our 
+   the list started, GitHub spammed the email list with notifications and 
-   hypothesis is that many people filtered this email alias 2) the Apache 
+   our hypothesis is that many people filtered this email alias 2) the Apache 
    email list does not support images making it challenging to support a 
    project that is UI-heavy as a tool for data visualization and 3) other 
    communication channels are being used to compliment the email list.  On 
@@ -1894, +1910 @@

    https://gitter.im/airbnb/superset) however, we now know that casual 
    conversations should only happen on these channels and that the majority 
    of the discussion needs to happen via email.  As a next step, we will
-   have an initial meeting with the Mentors, PPMC and Committers on Thursday, 
+   have an initial meeting with the Mentors, PPMC and Committers on 
+ Thursday, 
    December 13th to figure out what it takes to address this issue and help
    get the project on track.  We will also use this meeting as an opportunity
    to align across the PPMC and Committers about our obligations and

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: cvs-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: cvs-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message