incubator-cvs mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Incubator Wiki] Update of "December2018" by Justin Mclean
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2018 21:55:05 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Incubator Wiki" for change notification.

The "December2018" page has been changed by Justin Mclean:
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/December2018?action=diff&rev1=79&rev2=80

Comment:
reflow

  
  There are presently 52 podlings incubating. During the month of November,
  podlings executed 11 distinct releases. We added 17 new IPMC members and 
- had 2
- IPMC members retire.
+ had 2 IPMC members retire.
  
  Several podlings are heading towards graduation. We have also have several 
  new podlings with IotDB, Sharding Sphere, BRPC and Iceburg join our ranks 
@@ -71, +70 @@

  
  We also had a discussion about lowering the bar for IPMC members and seeing 
  how they potential candidates can be more easily recognised. While unusual
- at the  ASF, we've asked people to self identify, they will still be voted on
+ at the  ASF, we've asked people to self identify, they will still be voted 
- by the IPMC, and several have come forward and have been voted in. Several had 
+ on by the IPMC, and several have come forward and have been voted in. Several 
- more than enough merit and had gone unnoticed or looked over by the IPMC 
+ had more than enough merit and had gone unnoticed or looked over by the IPMC 
  and in a couple of cases were extremely obvious candidates.
  
  As a result of both of these we have 17 new IPMC members and several new 
@@ -198, +197 @@

  --------------------
  BRPC
  
- BRPC is an industrial-grade RPC framework for building reliable and high-performance services.
+ BRPC is an industrial-grade RPC framework for building reliable and 
+ high-performance services.
  
  BRPC has been incubating since 2018-11-13.
  
@@ -215, +215 @@

  
  How has the community developed since the last report?
  
- Just getting started. A little slowness on the Mentor / Champion side on the setup.
+   Just getting started. A little slowness on the Mentor / Champion side on 
+   the setup.
  
  How has the project developed since the last report?
  
- First report.
+   First report.
  
  How would you assess the podling's maturity?
  Please feel free to add your own commentary.
@@ -236, +237 @@

  
  When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
  
- None.
+   None.
  
  Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
  through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
  that need to be addressed.
  
- Mailing list creation fell through the cracks. Corrected now.
+   Mailing list creation fell through the cracks. Corrected now.
  
  Signed-off-by:
  
@@ -498, +499 @@

  Date of last release:
  
    - Druid 0.12.3 (non-Apache) was released on 2018-09-18.
-   - Druid 0.13.0-incubating has been proposed and is currently in the voting 
+   - Druid 0.13.0-incubating has been proposed and is currently in the 
+ voting 
    phase
  
  When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
@@ -577, +579 @@

    * Hangzhou Meetup was held on 2018-06-23: Online registration 500+, 
    on-site registration: 250
    * Start transferring dubbo-samples project from external Dubbo ecosystem 
-   into Apache, IP clearance process has been completed, SGA from Alibaba has 
+   into Apache, IP clearance process has been completed, SGA from Alibaba 
+ has 
    been submitted.
    * The following projects has been added to external Apache Dubbo 
    ecosystem(http://github.com/dubbo, non-Apache repositories):
@@ -591, +594 @@

    2018.  https://www.oschina.net/project/top_cn_2018
  
    Since last report, the communities has welcomed 6 new committers and 2 
-   new PPMC members. Comparing to last quarter, when we have 4 new committers 
+   new PPMC members. Comparing to last quarter, when we have 4 new 
-   and no new PPMC members. The number of contributors have grown from 119 to 
+   committers and no new PPMC members. The number of contributors have
-   144.
+   grown from 119 to 144.
  
    The following events have played key parts of helping the community to 
    grow:
@@ -688, +691 @@

  
    * Prepared the second Apache release, v0.5.2. 
      Now voting started at general@i.a.o on Nov 27th.
-     
  	
  https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201811.mbox/%3CC
  AGJoAU%3D-aweJkZuP-%3DKp6XPjfAC%3Dv4Si%2B3mbx4L-4is_jTB_yg%40mail.gmail.com%
@@ -704, +706 @@

     * Created 14 Pull Requests and closed 12 Pull Requests between Sept 1st
      and Nov 27th.
   
-   https://github.com/apache/incubator-hivemall/pulls?q=is%3Apr%20created%3A201
+ https://github.com/apache/incubator-hivemall/pulls?q=is%3Apr%20created%3A201
  8-09-01..2018-11-27
-     
+   
-   https://github.com/apache/incubator-hivemall/pulls?q=is%3Apr%20closed%3A2018
+ https://github.com/apache/incubator-hivemall/pulls?q=is%3Apr%20closed%3A2018
  -09-01..2018-11-27
  
  How would you assess the podling's maturity?
@@ -741, +743 @@

       Comments:
    [x](hivemall) Koji Sekiguchi
       Comments: We're under the new release vote now. I met Makoto Yui in 
+      person in Tokyo few days ago and I could find his comprehension of
-      person in Tokyo
-      few days ago and I could find his comprehension of Apache way is great! He 
-      leads the development team very well.
+      Apache way is great! He leads the development team very well.
  
  IPMC/Shepherd notes:
  
@@ -849, +850 @@

  How has the project developed since the last report?
  
    * The initial committers are working for merging all existing PRs, so
-   that we can migrate the source code to Apache code repository easily (16 pr
+   that we can migrate the source code to Apache code repository easily (16 
-   are merged)
+   pr are merged)
    *  The initial committers are translating the user manual from Chinese to
    English Version. (3/7 chapters are finished)
  
@@ -878, +879 @@

  through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
  that need to be addressed.
  
-   The mentors give the project and committers much help and it is responsive.
+   The mentors give the project and committers much help and it is 
+   responsive.
  
  Signed-off-by:
  
@@ -950, +952 @@

  Myriad
  
  Myriad enables co-existence of Apache Hadoop YARN and Apache Mesos together 
- on the same cluster and allows dynamic resource allocations across both Hadoop
+ on the same cluster and allows dynamic resource allocations across both 
+ Hadoop
  and other applications running on the same physical data center
  infrastructure.
  
@@ -968, +971 @@

    A new release is coming, the community is engaged in the process of 
    creating
    versions every quarter. The new PPMCs are beginners creating releases in 
-   the Apache way, and probably they will need some kind of assistance from the 
+   the Apache way, and probably they will need some kind of assistance from 
-   mentor side.
+   the mentor side.
  
  How has the community developed since the last report?
  
@@ -1116, +1119 @@

  
  How has the community developed since the last report?
  
-   New committer, Yonatan Gottesman, was added to Omid’s community. Yonatan is 
+   New committer, Yonatan Gottesman, was added to Omid’s community. Yonatan 
-   very active and contributed to the integration with Phoenix. 
+   is very active and contributed to the integration with Phoenix. 
    Moreover, Yonattan implemented the low latency version of Omid which is 
    currently part of release 1.0.0.
-   Integration with Apache Phoenix will be ready in a few days, early December.
+   Integration with Apache Phoenix will be ready in a few days, early 
+   December.
  
  How has the project developed since the last report?
  
    The vote for major release 1.0.0 passed successfully in the incubator 
    general list. This release includes all the Phoenix required features. 
-   The release is currently being deployed to Nexus and a formal announcement 
+   The release is currently being deployed to Nexus and a formal 
-   of the release will be send shortly.
+   announcement of the release will be send shortly.
    Omid and Apache Phoenix integration is at its final stage. Omid release 
    1.0.0 includes all Phoenix required features, therefore, from the Omid 
    side, the integration with Phoenix is over. 
@@ -1168, +1172 @@

  
  --------------------
  OpenWhisk  
- OpenWhisk is an open source, distributed Serverless computing platform able to execute application
logic (Actions) in response to events (Triggers) from external sources (Feeds) or HTTP requests
governed by conditional logic (Rules). It provides a programming environment supported by
a REST API-based Command Line Interface (CLI) along with tooling to support packaging and
catalog services.  Additionally, it now provides options to host the platform components as
Docker containers on various Container Frameworks such as Mesos, Kubernetes, and Compose.
+ OpenWhisk is an open source, distributed Serverless computing platform able 
+ to execute application logic (Actions) in response to events (Triggers) 
+ from external sources (Feeds) or HTTP requests governed by conditional 
+ logic (Rules). It provides a programming environment supported by a REST 
+ API-based Command Line Interface (CLI) along with tooling to support 
+ packaging and catalog services.  Additionally, it now provides options to 
+ host the platform components as Docker containers on various Container 
+ Frameworks such as Mesos, Kubernetes, and Compose.
   
  OpenWhisk has been incubating since 2016-11-23.
  
  Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:    
-    1. Improve release automation to decrease manual steps in creating release artifacts.
+    1. Improve release automation to decrease manual steps in creating 
-       a. Release process/automation/documentation are here https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-release).
-       b. We have made the initial releases of 12 core software components.  In the process
we have developed some release automation, but there is a need to further automate the process
and formalize the mechanisms for make a coordinated release of all components.
-    2. Increase additional company and individual Contributors to maintain all project repos.
and address Issue / PR backlog.
+    release artifacts.
+       a. Release process/automation/documentation are here 
+ https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-release).
+       b. We have made the initial releases of 12 core software components.  
+   In the process we have developed some release automation, but there is a 
+    need to further automate the process and formalize the mechanisms for make 
+    a coordinated release of all components.
+    2. Increase additional company and individual Contributors to maintain 
+    all project repos. and address Issue / PR backlog.
-    3. Close legal transferred of Trademark handoff for "OpenWhisk" name and logo to ASF
+    3. Close legal transferred of Trademark handoff for "OpenWhisk" name and 
+ logo to ASF
  
- Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware of?    
+ Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware 
-    1. Issue backlog building on incubator-openwhisk is still a major issue (partly due to
#2 above). As of this report, the "open" issue backlog on the "main" platform repo is 397
(up from 384 as of last report). The open PR count on the main repo has held steady at around
30 (down from 50+ 6 months ago), but still 1/3 of the ready-to-merge PRs are more than 1 month
old.  The PR and Issue backlog on other project repositories is generally much lower and of
less concern than the Issue backlog on the main repo.
-    2. Need to prioritize and work to reduce while advancing major proposals around restructuring
around abstractions to accommodate running on Knative while enhancing support for better logging/scheduling
and performance testing enhancements.
-    3. Trying to add more active Committers to augment those who have dropped off in their
activity; however, we have reached an impasse where potential new Contributor pull requests
are not getting timely reviews/merges.  We have potential new Contribs. to front-end Runtimes
we will look to nominate ASAP, but we still lack back-end Contribs.
-    4. The project is still working on establishing an open staging environment to enable
proper testing without depending on closed testing infrastructure at involved companies. Unfortunately,
even after finally arranging a corporate donation to the ASF in June to support this need,
it took until late October for Apache Infra to finish provisioning the machines. 
-    5. Formal hand-off of OpenWhisk trademark/logo from IBM needs to be executed; need to
identify process for this. See #3 above.
-       * Discussion started w/ Apache legal via "legal-discuss" mailing list with subject
"Trademark handoff for "OpenWhisk" name and logo".
+ of?    
+    1. Issue backlog building on incubator-openwhisk is still a major issue 
+   (partly due to #2 above). As of this report, the "open" issue backlog on 
+   the "main" platform repo is 397 (up from 384 as of last report). The open 
+   PR count on the main repo has held steady at around 30 (down from 50+ 6 
+   months ago), but still 1/3 of the ready-to-merge PRs are more than 1 month 
+   old.  The PR and Issue backlog on other project repositories is generally 
+   much lower and of less concern than the Issue backlog on the main repo.
+    2. Need to prioritize and work to reduce while advancing major proposals 
+   around restructuring around abstractions to accommodate running on Knative 
+   while enhancing support for better logging/scheduling and performance 
+   testing enhancements.
+    3. Trying to add more active Committers to augment those who have 
+   dropped off in their activity; however, we have reached an impasse where 
+   potential new Contributor pull requests are not getting timely 
+   reviews/merges.  We have potential new Contribs. to front-end Runtimes we 
+   will look to nominate ASAP, but we still lack back-end Contribs.
+    4. The project is still working on establishing an open staging 
+   environment to enable proper testing without depending on closed testing 
+   infrastructure at involved companies. Unfortunately, even after finally 
+   arranging a corporate donation to the ASF in June to support this need, it 
+   took until late October for Apache Infra to finish provisioning the 
+   machines. 
+   5. Formal hand-off of OpenWhisk trademark/logo from IBM needs to be 
+   executed; need to identify process for this. See #3 above.
+     * Discussion started w/ Apache legal via "legal-discuss" mailing list 
+     with subject "Trademark handoff for "OpenWhisk" name and logo".
-       * IBM intends to hand-off ownership of trademarks at time of graduation.
+     * IBM intends to hand-off ownership of trademarks at time of 
-    6. Announcements from Google (Knative) in late July and AWS (Firecracker) just last week
apply pressure on our community in order to both explain to developers/operators how OW is
differentiated from, as well as compatible with, both popular providers’ frameworks.
- 
+     graduation.
+    6. Announcements from Google (Knative) in late July and AWS 
+   (Firecracker) just last week apply pressure on our community in order to 
+   both explain to developers/operators how OW is differentiated from, as well 
+   as compatible with, both popular providers’ frameworks.
  
  How has the community developed since the last report?    
-     * dev mailing list activity – was relatively light with the main discussion topics/activity
being (reflected in comments below as well):
+   * dev mailing list activity – was relatively light with the main 
+   discussion topics/activity being (reflected in comments below as well):
          Golang runtime and new ActionLoop (runtime)
              Interpretation of "main" for GoLang and ActionLoop docker images
              Promises (or equivalent) in Python and GoLang
              Submitted PR for hopefully now stable GoLang OpenWhisk runtime
              Re: Completing the integration of the Go lang runtime
-             Contributing an actionloop based runtime for Python - and creating an actionloop
repo
+             Contributing an actionloop based runtime for Python - and 
+             creating an actionloop repo
-             The ActionLoop based runtime for Python3.6 for OpenWhisk is 5 times faster than
the curre...
+             The ActionLoop based runtime for Python3.6 for OpenWhisk is 5 
+             times faster than the curre...
          Donation of Composer to OW
              Donation of ibm-functions/composer to Apache OpenWhisk
              towards the first apache release of openwhisk-composer
              Re: Donation of ibm-functions/composer to Apache OpenWhisk
          Performance and Logging
              Active acks from invoker to controller
-             Proposal to Remove Artifact Store Polling for Blocking Invocations
+             Proposal to Remove Artifact Store Polling for Blocking 
+             Invocations
              Relieve CouchDB on high load
          Release
-             OpenWhisk officially first-time released all the 12 modules under Apache as
incubator pro...
+             OpenWhisk officially first-time released all the 12 modules 
+             under Apache as incubator pro...
-             Re: [DISCUSSION]: Proposing to use 1.12.0 as the version for all runtimes for
the first-t...
+             Re: [DISCUSSION]: Proposing to use 1.12.0 as the version for 
+             all runtimes for the first-t...
-             Instruction documented to release openwhisk projects under apache
+             Instruction documented to release openwhisk projects under 
+             apache
-             Re: Change the package name into org.apache.openwhisk for openwhisk modules
+             Re: Change the package name into org.apache.openwhisk for 
+             openwhisk modules
          Other:
              Autonomous Container Scheduler v2 proposal
  
      * incubator-openwhisk Github stars: 3657 (+185 since last report)
  
-     * incubator-openwhisk GitHub forks: 692 (+40 since last report). Note lots of more competing
projects entering the Serverless space.
+     * incubator-openwhisk GitHub forks: 692 (+40 since last report). Note 
+     lots of more competing projects entering the Serverless space.
  
      * Slack community:
-         * 1,072 members (+103 from last report).  Very active in most channels from both
end users or the project and contributors
+         * 1,072 members (+103 from last report).  Very active in most 
+         channels from both end users or the project and contributors
-         * To-date: 126,282 messages sent across all channels (+13956 since last report)
+         * To-date: 126,282 messages sent across all channels (+13956 since  
+         last report)
          * Analytics: https://openwhisk-team.slack.com/admin/stats
  
-     * The  bi-weekly Zoom "Technical Interchange" continues to be well received and attended.
+     * The  bi-weekly Zoom "Technical Interchange" continues to be well 
+     received and attended.
  
-         Complete videos posted to OW YouTube channel and detailed notes to our CWIKI.
+         Complete videos posted to OW YouTube channel and detailed notes to 
+         our CWIKI.
  
          YouTube Channel: Apache Meetings Playlist
  
          CWiki Meeting Notes: OpenWhisk Technical Interchange Meeting Notes
- 
+            
-             https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/2018-09-12+OW+Tech+Interchange+-+Meeting+Notes
+ https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/2018-09-12+OW+Tech+Int
- 
+ erchange+-+Meeting+Notes
+           
-             https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/2018-09-26+OW+Tech+Interchange+-+Meeting+Notes
+ https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/2018-09-26+OW+Tech+Int
+ erchange+-+Meeting+Notes
  
-             https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/2018-10-10+OW+Tech+Interchange+Meeting+Notes
+ https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/2018-10-10+OW+Tech+Int
- 
+ erchange+Meeting+Notes
+           
-             https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/2018-10-24+OW+Tech+Interchange+Meeting+Notes
+ https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/2018-10-24+OW+Tech+Int
- 
+ erchange+Meeting+Notes
+         
-             https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/2018-11-07+OW+Tech+Interchange+Meeting+Notes
+ https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/2018-11-07+OW+Tech+Int
+ erchange+Meeting+Notes
  
      * New Contributors
          * ICLAs received:
@@ -1251, +1311 @@

          * Joined Community Interchange calls and introduced themselves:
              Shawn Black: Architect at a reinsurance company in St. Louis.
              Stanciu - at Adobe, joined runtime team a few weeks ago
-             Victor: Grad. student at USC. Working on a thesis on real-time computing in
the Cloud.  Goal is looking into how to apply real-time components into OpenWhisk.
+             Victor: Grad. student at USC. Working on a thesis on real-time 
+             computing in the Cloud.  Goal is looking into how to apply real-time 
+             components into OpenWhisk.
              Markus: now with Red Hat
-             Prabhash Rathnayake, intern at WSO2, proposed JIRA package to catalog
+             Prabhash Rathnayake, intern at WSO2, proposed JIRA package to 
- 
+             catalog
  
  How has the project developed since the last report?
  
@@ -1262, +1324 @@

  
      Google Knative
  
-         Knative and the general popularity of Kubernetes is driving the community to design
and document how OW can be compatible with Knative concepts of “Serving”, “Build”
and “Eventing”.  Primarily we are increasing our friendliness to the Kube community to
hopefully attract more developers to help us by improving Kube deployment docs and configs.
for both developers and operators to more easily “get started”.
+         Knative and the general popularity of Kubernetes is driving the 
+         community to design and document how OW can be compatible with Knative 
+         concepts of “Serving”, “Build” and “Eventing”.  Primarily we are increasing

+         our friendliness to the Kube community to hopefully attract more developers 
+         to help us by improving Kube deployment docs and configs. for both 
+         developers and operators to more easily “get started”.
-         Proposals on Wiki have stalled since Sept. need to revitalize the conversation.
+         Proposals on Wiki have stalled since Sept. need to revitalize the 
+         conversation.
  
      Release process
  
-         Initial releases of all “core” repos (both back-end platform and front-end tooling)
are complete.  We are adding the release of the new IBM donation of Composer at the time of
authoring this report (currently undergoing IPMC VOTE).
-         Rename of all "packages" (lib.) names to "apache.org", see: Re: Change the package
name into org.apache.openwhisk for openwhisk modules
+         Initial releases of all “core” repos (both back-end platform and 
+         front-end tooling) are complete.  We are adding the release of the new IBM 
+         donation of Composer at the time of authoring this report (currently 
+         undergoing IPMC VOTE).
+         Rename of all "packages" (lib.) names to "apache.org", see: Re: 
+         Change the package name into org.apache.openwhisk for openwhisk modules
  
-         We look forward to creating a unified release to assure we have a major/minor version
that is tested to be compat. with one another (as now all are disparate releases).
+         We look forward to creating a unified release to assure we have a 
+         major/minor version that is tested to be compat. with one another (as now 
+         all are disparate releases).
          Need more mentor help at getting release votes through IPMC.
  
      Website revamp
  
-         Completed.  Now linking in critical developer and operator docs. to be friendlier
and provide “how tos” / tutorials to teach OW key features such including Web Actions,
Provider samples,  Added “getting started” sections for Ruby and Swift, as well as for
new Docker Desktop (with Kubernetes).
+         Completed.  Now linking in critical developer and operator docs. to 
+         be friendlier and provide “how tos” / tutorials to teach OW key features 
+         such including Web Actions, Provider samples,  Added “getting started” 
+         sections for Ruby and Swift, as well as for new Docker Desktop (with 
+         Kubernetes).
  
      Runtime updates:
  
-         ActionLoop (part of Go Runtime as of today), supports a general, very fast mechanism
for creating new Runtimes (or migrating existing). See
+         ActionLoop (part of Go Runtime as of today), supports a general, 
+         very fast mechanism for creating new Runtimes (or migrating existing). See
  
-         New runtime for the .NET language needs to be taken “over the finish line"
+         New runtime for the .NET language needs to be taken “over the 
+         finish line"
-             See initial discussion: dotnet 2.1 Runtime for OpenWhisk
+         See initial discussion: dotnet 2.1 Runtime for OpenWhisk
  
      Composer
  
          Passed IP Clearance, IPMC vote completed
- 
+       
-         http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/openwhisk-composer-python.html
+ http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/openwhisk-composer-python.html
  
-         original IBM donated code was here: https://github.com/ibm-functions/composer-python/
+         original IBM donated code was here: 
+ https://github.com/ibm-functions/composer-python/
  
      Other Notable discussions/changes/issues/features:
  
          No update
  
- 
- How would you assess the podling's maturity?  Please feel free to add your own commentary.
   
+ How would you assess the podling's maturity?  Please feel free to add your 
+ own commentary.    
  
     [  ] Initial setup
     [  ] Working towards first release  (nearly complete, see above)
@@ -1307, +1388 @@

  
  Comments:
  
-     Need greater variety of contributors and contributing companies; especially on the “back-end”
platform side and to align us with Knative.
+     Need greater variety of contributors and contributing companies; 
+     especially on the “back-end” platform side and to align us with Knative.
-     Need more mentor help at getting release votes through IPMC with the large # of components
we have now.
+     Need more mentor help at getting release votes through IPMC with the
+     large # of components we have now.
  
  Date of last release:    
  
-     Links to latest component releases can be found here: https://openwhisk.apache.org/downloads.html
+     Links to latest component releases can be found here: 
+ https://openwhisk.apache.org/downloads.html
  
-     Composer (new), v0.90 RC1, undergoing IPMC vote: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/8b182e4b0ad7e402f4be61500285abedf44067215a5d351bdaeb005b@%3Cdev.openwhisk.apache.org%3E
+     Composer (new), v0.90 RC1, undergoing IPMC vote: 
+ https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/8b182e4b0ad7e402f4be61500285abedf440672
+ 15a5d351bdaeb005b@%3Cdev.openwhisk.apache.org%3E
  
  When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?    
  
@@ -1329, +1415 @@

  Signed-off-by:
  
    [X](openwhisk) Bertrand Delacretaz
-      Comments: I have asked on list for clarification on the "It seems that Apache Infra.
will not 
+      Comments: I have asked on list for clarification on the "It seems that 
-                provide us servers" comment, to see what could be done.
+    Apache Infra. will not provide us servers" comment, to see what could be done.
    [X](openwhisk) Jim Jagielski
       Comments:
  
@@ -1412, +1498 @@

  
  How has the community developed since the last report?
  
-   It's been very quiet. We have sufficient oversight, but the project has not 
+   It's been very quiet. We have sufficient oversight, but the project has 
-   seen much new development.
+   not seen much new development.
    There are outstanding bug reports, but to the best of my knowledge, no 
    vulnerabilities exist.
  
@@ -1458, +1544 @@

  SAMOA provides a collection of distributed streaming algorithms for the most
  common data mining and machine learning tasks such as classification,
  clustering, and regression, as well as programming abstractions to develop 
- new
- algorithms that run on top of distributed stream processing engines (DSPEs).
+ new algorithms that run on top of distributed stream processing engines (DSPEs).
  It features a pluggable architecture that allows it to run on several DSPEs
  such as Apache Storm, Apache S4, and Apache Samza.
  
@@ -1564, +1649 @@

  that need to be addressed.
  
    1. Waiting for response from INFRA to move codebase to Apache. JIRA 
+   ticket url: 
-   ticket url: https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/INFRA/issues/INFRA-17289
+ https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/INFRA/issues/INFRA-17289
  
  Signed-off-by:
  
@@ -1611, +1697 @@

  
  How has the project developed since the last report?
  
-   We have developed a submodule of Singa, called Rafiki to provide automated 
+   We have developed a submodule of Singa, called Rafiki to provide 
-   machine learning.
+   automated machine learning.
    Two major features are developed for Singa, i.e., autograd (finished) and 
    onnx (almost done).
  
-   There are 265 Commits since last report (including the commits for Rafiki).
+   There are 265 Commits since last report (including the commits for 
+   Rafiki).
  
  How would you assess the podling's maturity?
  Please feel free to add your own commentary.
@@ -1690, +1777 @@

    in IPMC. IPMC addressed a main issue before graduation, need to promote 
    more committers by given the number of contributors. 
    SkyWalking community has recognised, and voted/passed three new 
-   committers, more committers are in discussion and voting process. The PPMCs 
+   committers, more committers are in discussion and voting process. The 
-   have learned from the graduation discussion.
+   PPMCs have learned from the graduation discussion.
  
  How has the community developed since the last report?
  
@@ -1704, +1791 @@

    4. Three new committors voted and joined. Wenbin Wang, Can Li and Jian 
    Tan. 
    5. A new UI project open source. https://github.com/TinyAllen/rocketbot. 
-   It runs as a secondary choice and very cool UI for SkyWalking, by following 
+   It runs as a secondary choice and very cool UI for SkyWalking, by 
-   our query protocol.
+   following our query protocol.
    6. baiyang, wangkai, liyuntao, ilucky, zhangkewei, and wangsheng added to 
    SkyWalking PPMC, because they are initial committers.
  
@@ -1752, +1839 @@

       Comments:
    [X](skywalking) Mick Semb Wever
       Comments: 'issues to address' probably doesn't need to be so 
-      technical, the board can presume technical momentum by release frequency 
+      technical, the board can presume technical momentum by release 
-      and new committers. Graduation is more dependent on the ASF community 
+      frequency and new committers. Graduation is more dependent on the
-      dynamics. Adding the new committers for example.
+      ASF community dynamics. Adding the new committers for example.
    [X](skywalking) Ignasi Barrera
       Comments:
  
@@ -1781, +1868 @@

  
    We are currently down to 1 mentor. Although we put a request for an 
    additional mentor, we are not going to push the request until we wrap up 
-   what we need to do for the next release. Once we have finished up work and 
+   what we need to do for the next release. Once we have finished up work 
-   are ready to set up a vote we will push harder to invite another mentor to 
+   and  are ready to set up a vote we will push harder to invite another
-   help us with the process. We anticipate having a lot of questions around 
+   mentor to help us with the process. We anticipate having a lot of
-   the release process.
+   questions around the release process.
  
  How has the community developed since the last report?
  
@@ -1796, +1883 @@

  How has the project developed since the last report?
  
    We have identified issues we think would block our release; mainly around 
-   the ease of installation and use. We are doing some documentation write-ups 
+   the ease of installation and use. We are doing some documentation 
-   and code updates to make the Install process easier. We’re also testing out 
+   write-ups and code updates to make the Install process easier. We’re also
-   setup on a VM with the aim to make it easier for developers to contribute.
+   testing out setup on a VM with the aim to make it easier for developers to
+   contribute.
  
  How would you assess the podling's maturity?
  Please feel free to add your own commentary.
@@ -1840, +1928 @@

  Superset has been incubating since 2017-05-21.
  
  Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
-   1. Project operations - There are 3 specific issues that have been brought 
+   1. Project operations - There are 3 specific issues that have been 
-   to our attention that we are committed to addressing:
+   brought to our attention that we are committed to addressing:
-   Discussions happening offline from dev@superset.incubator.apache.org (more 
+   Discussions happening offline from dev@superset.incubator.apache.org 
-   below under issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board should be aware of)
+   (more  below under issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board should be
+   aware of)
-   Unapproved releases (more below under issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF 
+   Unapproved releases (more below under issues that the Incubator PMC or 
-   Board should be aware of)
+   ASF Board should be aware of)
    Trademark - Some research has been conducted here 
+   
-   https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/PODLINGNAMESEARCH/issues/PODLINGNAME
+ https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/PODLINGNAMESEARCH/issues/PODLINGNAME
    SEARCH-124 , but more details have been requested. The expected format 
    output described is not very prescriptive. Just commented asking for a 
    example of a well executed name search. 
    2. Plan and execute our first Apache release.  Though we have been in 
    incubation for a year and a half, we are committed to planning and 
    following through on our first Apache release together with the community 
-   by kicking off a discussion thread on dev@superset.incubator.apache.org  to 
+   by kicking off a discussion thread on dev@superset.incubator.apache.org  
-   align on the deliverables for the first Apache release.
+   to align on the deliverables for the first Apache release.
    3. Align on a long-term product roadmap with the broader Apache Superset 
    community.  As a part of planning our first Apache release, we would also 
-   like to build out the high-level roadmap for the project with a look ahead 
+   like to build out the high-level roadmap for the project with a look 
-   of 1 year.  We plan to create this by starting a discussion thread on 
+   ahead of 1 year.  We plan to create this by starting a discussion thread on 
-   dev@superset.incubator.apache.org  to work collaboratively on a vision and 
+   dev@superset.incubator.apache.org  to work collaboratively on a vision 
-   roadmap for 2019.
+   and roadmap for 2019.
  
  Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware 
  of?
    * Discussions happening offline from email - The 
-   dev@superset.incubator.apache.org email list has not been very active as a 
+   dev@superset.incubator.apache.org email list has not been very active as 
-   channel of discussion.  To be clear, this is both a result of 1) when the 
+   a channel of discussion.  To be clear, this is both a result of 1) when
-   list started, GitHub spammed the email list with notifications and our 
+   the list started, GitHub spammed the email list with notifications and our 
    hypothesis is that many people filtered this email alias 2) the Apache 
    email list does not support images making it challenging to support a 
    project that is UI-heavy as a tool for data visualization and 3) other 
-   communication channels are being used to compliment the email list.  On #3, 
+   communication channels are being used to compliment the email list.  On 
-   there is an open bi-weekly meeting for contributors and committers to 
+   #3, there is an open bi-weekly meeting for contributors and committers to 
-   discuss issues (no decisions are made here - please see the update on SIPs 
+   discuss issues (no decisions are made here - please see the update on 
-   in the project development section) and while the link to the Google Doc 
+   SIPs in the project development section) and while the link to the Google
-   with the notes was posted to the dev@superset.incubator.apache.org email 
+   Doc with the notes was posted to the dev@superset.incubator.apache.org
-   list, we could have done a better job of posting the notes from the 
+   email list, we could have done a better job of posting the notes from the 
    meetings and we recognize that it is more challenging for some community 
    members who live in other timezones to participate.  There are also two 
    reasonably active forums for live discussions (Slack Group 
    http://apache-superset.slack.com and Gitter Channel 
    https://gitter.im/airbnb/superset) however, we now know that casual 
-   conversations should only happen on these channels and that the majority of 
+   conversations should only happen on these channels and that the majority 
-   the discussion needs to happen via email.  As a next step, we will have an 
+   of the discussion needs to happen via email.  As a next step, we will
-   initial meeting with the Mentors, PPMC and Committers on Thursday, December 
+   have an initial meeting with the Mentors, PPMC and Committers on Thursday, 
-   13th to figure out what it takes to address this issue and help get the 
+   December 13th to figure out what it takes to address this issue and help
-   project on track.  We will also use this meeting as an opportunity to align 
+   get the project on track.  We will also use this meeting as an opportunity
-   across the PPMC and Committers about our obligations and responsibilities 
+   to align across the PPMC and Committers about our obligations and
-   as well as to receive coaching from our Mentors on the Apache Way.
+   responsibilities as well as to receive coaching from our Mentors on the
+   Apache Way.
    * Unapproved releases - Currently, committers working on the project have 
    not been following the proper procedures in discussing the content of 
    releases on the dev@superset.incubator.apache.org email list nor have we 
@@ -1897, +1988 @@

    the ability of other community members to participate.  We were uncertain 
    how to manage the LICENSE/COPYRIGHT files and how they relate to 
    convenience releases and we have struggled to understand how to proceed 
-   with the name search requirement.  That said, it doesn’t justify pushing a 
+   with the name search requirement.  That said, it doesn’t justify pushing 
-   release forward and at a minimum we will discontinue this practice.  We 
+   a release forward and at a minimum we will discontinue this practice.  We 
    will also discuss this with our Mentors on 12/13 to receive coaching on 
    this topic.
    * As mentioned earlier, having an Apache email list that doesn’t support 
@@ -1908, +1999 @@

    add more PMCs to the project.
  
  How has the community developed since the last report?
-   * Organic growth of our Github contributors (274->306), forks (3627->3974), 
+   * Organic growth of our Github contributors (274->306), forks 
+ (3627->3974), 
    watchers (1077->1157) and stars (20,519->22,097)
    * Added Krist Wongsuphasawat as a new committer.
  
  How has the project developed since the last report?
-   * We have been intentional in discussing and voting on issues using GitHub 
+   * We have been intentional in discussing and voting on issues using 
-   (for SIPs) as it supports images (a current challenge with the Apache email 
+   GitHub (for SIPs) as it supports images (a current challenge with the
-   listserv) and held votes for them on the dev@superset.incubator.apache.org 
-   list
+   Apache email listserv) and held votes for them on the
+   dev@superset.incubator.apache.org list
    * Faster, easier editing of datasources (adding new metrics, dimensions, 
-   metadata) - We've now added the ability to modify datasources directly from 
+   metadata) - We've now added the ability to modify datasources directly 
-   the Explore view. 
+   from the Explore view. 
    * New time range filter with added simple default options, and relative 
    date filters.
    * Url shortener for dashboards, for easier sharing.
@@ -2178, +2270 @@

    Not much progress to report since the repositories have not been migrated 
    yet.
    The new mentor, Sheng Wu, has joined the project. Also, the team has 
-   established a process to reflect project updates which is to create a wiki at the 
+   established a process to reflect project updates which is to create a 
-   same time as the incubator reports (called LastMonthInZipkin).
+   wiki at the same time as the incubator reports (called LastMonthInZipkin).
  
  How would you assess the podling's maturity?
  Please feel free to add your own commentary.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: cvs-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: cvs-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message