incubator-cvs mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Incubator Wiki] Update of "October2013" by MarvinHumphrey
Date Thu, 10 Oct 2013 04:31:07 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Incubator Wiki" for change notification.

The "October2013" page has been changed by MarvinHumphrey:
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/October2013?action=diff&rev1=79&rev2=80

Comment:
Normalize formatting.  Wrap at 75 columns.

  {{{
  Incubator PMC report for October 2013
  
- The Apache Incubator is the entry path into the ASF for projects and codebases
+ The Apache Incubator is the entry path into the ASF for projects and
- wishing to become part of the Foundation's efforts.
+ codebases wishing to become part of the Foundation's efforts.
  
  The Incubator grew to 39 podlings this month.
  
- Mailing list activity on general@incubator went back up after light months in
+ Mailing list activity on general@incubator went back up after light months
- July and August.
+ in July and August.
  
  * Community
  
@@ -101, +101 @@

  
  * Miscellaneous
  
-   * Allura's release candidate, which spent weeks waiting for IPMC feedback,
+   * Allura's release candidate, which spent weeks waiting for IPMC
-     was ultimately withdrawn after flaws were discovered.
+     feedback, was ultimately withdrawn after flaws were discovered.
  
-   * Commons-monitoring seems likely to enter the Incubator.  The name is still
+   * Commons-monitoring seems likely to enter the Incubator.  The name is
-     under discussion.
+     still under discussion.
  
-   * A question about old Chukwa binary artifacts was resolved by reaffirming
+   * A question about old Chukwa binary artifacts was resolved by
-     that the ASF makes no guarantees about convenience binaries.
+     reaffirming that the ASF makes no guarantees about convenience
+     binaries.
  
    * The Incubator paid elevated attention to trademarks this month.
  
-   * Old controversies about what criteria to apply when adding personnel to a
+   * Old controversies about what criteria to apply when adding personnel to
-     proposed podling finally bit an unlucky live podling candidate (Usergrid).
+     a proposed podling finally bit an unlucky live podling candidate
-     Hopefully it will never happen again.
+     (Usergrid).  Hopefully it will never happen again.
  
  -------------------- Summary of podling reports --------------------
  
@@ -192, +193 @@

  
  How has the community developed since the last report?
  
-   Several new people are working on additional code for the project. One person
+   Several new people are working on additional code for the project. One
-   is working on a GSoC project, someone else is working on a new remote services
+   person is working on a GSoC project, someone else is working on a new
-   protocol and is actively communicating over the list and using jira to post
+   remote services protocol and is actively communicating over the list and
-   patches. Overall this is an increase in activity.
+   using jira to post patches. Overall this is an increase in activity.
  
    The Native-OSGi project is still progressing, but rather slow. So there
-   isn't anything new on that end. Celix is still the reference implementation,
+   isn't anything new on that end. Celix is still the reference
-   so I still expect this to be a great drive for Celix, for the code as well
+   implementation, so I still expect this to be a great drive for Celix, for
-   as the committers.
+   the code as well as the committers.
  
  How has the project developed since the last report?
  
@@ -209, +210 @@

    additional Remote Services implementation based on shared memory is being
    made.
  
-   Work for a new release is still ongoing, the focus is slightly changing, one
+   Work for a new release is still ongoing, the focus is slightly changing,
-   of the main users has requested a release. Since they don't use Win32, Win32
+   one of the main users has requested a release. Since they don't use
-   support can be stripped from the release plan and postponed to a later
+   Win32, Win32 support can be stripped from the release plan and postponed
-   release.
+   to a later release.
  
  Date of last release:
  
@@ -235, +236 @@

  --------------------
  Chukwa
  
- Chukwa is a log collection and analysis framework for Apache Hadoop clusters.
+ Chukwa is a log collection and analysis framework for Apache Hadoop
+ clusters.
  
  Chukwa has been incubating since 2010-07-14.
  
@@ -248, +250 @@

  Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
  aware of?
  
- Chukwa has been voted to graduate to TLP in September in general@incubator.  This will be
the last incubator report.
+   Chukwa has been voted to graduate to TLP in September in
+   general@incubator.  This will be the last incubator report.
  
  How has the community developed since the last report?
  
- Community has been stable and adding new features to Chukwa.
+   Community has been stable and adding new features to Chukwa.
  
  How has the project developed since the last report?
  
- New heatmap feature and updating to work with  being developed.
+   New heatmap feature and updating to work with  being developed.  New
- New demux parser improvement for configuring reducer parser has been developed.
+   demux parser improvement for configuring reducer parser has been
+   developed.
  
  Date of last release:
  
@@ -283, +287 @@

  
  Apache DeviceMap is a data repository containing device information, images
  and other relevant information for all sorts of mobile devices, e.g.
- smartphones and tablets. While the focus is initially on that data, APIs will
+ smartphones and tablets. While the focus is initially on that data, APIs
- also be created to use and manage it.
+ will also be created to use and manage it.
  
  Shepherd notes:
  
    Dave Fisher (wave):
  
-     I see good activity recently. It looks like it took DeviceMap quite awhile
+     I see good activity recently. It looks like it took DeviceMap quite
-     to get started, but the community has grown and it looks like they are
+     awhile to get started, but the community has grown and it looks like
-     working towards a release. Mentors are active. I'm not sure why they have
+     they are working towards a release. Mentors are active. I'm not sure
-     not reported. (Oct 6)
+     why they have not reported. (Oct 6)
  
    Marvin Humphrey (marvin):
    
@@ -302, +306 @@

  --------------------
  Helix
  
- Apache Helix is a generic cluster management framework used to build distributed systems
and provides automatic partition management, fault tolerance and elasticity.
+ Apache Helix is a generic cluster management framework used to build
+ distributed systems and provides automatic partition management, fault
+ tolerance and elasticity.
  
  Helix has been incubating since 2012-10-14.
  
- We feel that we are ready for graduation and have started the discussion internally. We
need to update the status page with new committers and also resolve trade mark.Our processes
are continuing to improve and adoption is increasing both inside and outside of LinkedIn.
+ We feel that we are ready for graduation and have started the discussion
+ internally. We need to update the status page with new committers and also
+ resolve trade mark.Our processes are continuing to improve and adoption is
+ increasing both inside and outside of LinkedIn.
  
- Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware of?
+ Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
+ of?
  
- - NONE
+   - NONE
  
  
  How has the community developed since the last report?
  
- - Added Kanak Biscuitwala as a committer
+   - Added Kanak Biscuitwala as a committer
- - Receiving external contribution in developing JavaScript bindings for Helix (see https://github.com/sudowork/node-helix-participant)
+   - Receiving external contribution in developing JavaScript bindings for
+     Helix (see https://github.com/sudowork/node-helix-participant)
- - Steady activity on the mailing list
+   - Steady activity on the mailing list
  
  
  How has the project developed since the last report?
  
- - Making progress on 0.7.0, a release that examines and rethinks every interaction that
Helix exposes to increase ease of use. We hope to release this month.
+   - Making progress on 0.7.0, a release that examines and rethinks every
+     interaction that Helix exposes to increase ease of use. We hope to
+     release this month.
- - Introduced new coding style guidelines, and simplified the code review process with new
scripts
+   - Introduced new coding style guidelines, and simplified the code review
+     process with new scripts
- - Increased documentation of the development process on JIRA pages
+   - Increased documentation of the development process on JIRA pages
- - Actively populating the developer wiki and increased the amount of documentation on the
project website
+   - Actively populating the developer wiki and increased the amount of
+     documentation on the project website
- - Received a patch integrating Helix with YARN, to automate management of YARN containers.
+   - Received a patch integrating Helix with YARN, to automate management of
- 
+     YARN containers.
  
  Date of last release:
  
@@ -335, +350 @@

  
  When were the last committers or PMC members elected?
  
- - Kanak Biscuitwala (committer) - 2013-09-20
+   - Kanak Biscuitwala (committer) - 2013-09-20
- 
- 
  
  Signed-off-by:
  
@@ -367, +380 @@

  Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
  aware of?
  
-   The jclouds community is looking forward to the next ASF Board meeting and
+   The jclouds community is looking forward to the next ASF Board meeting
-   hopes to be confirmed as a TLP.
+   and hopes to be confirmed as a TLP.
  
  How has the community developed since the last report?
  
-   jclouds held its first committer vote as an Apache project and is proud to
+   jclouds held its first committer vote as an Apache project and is proud
-   have Zack Shoylev on board!
+   to have Zack Shoylev on board!
  
  How has the project developed since the last report?
  
-   Our second incubating release was successful, with no issues related to ASF
+   Our second incubating release was successful, with no issues related to
-   process or guidelines raised. The remaining trademark and IP issues have
+   ASF process or guidelines raised. The remaining trademark and IP issues
-   been resolved, and changes to the project website to bring it in line with
+   have been resolved, and changes to the project website to bring it in
-   ASF guidelines successfully made. The project also held a successful vote to
+   line with ASF guidelines successfully made. The project also held a
-   adopt a set of Bylaws.
+   successful vote to adopt a set of Bylaws.
  
    With those items completed and a new committer on board, the jclouds PPMC
-   proceeded to a graduation vote, which was passed and confirmed by the IMPC.
+   proceeded to a graduation vote, which was passed and confirmed by the
-   Andrew Bayer was elected as the first project PMC chair and will thus be
+   IMPC.  Andrew Bayer was elected as the first project PMC chair and will
-   proposed as Vice President, Apache jclouds.
+   thus be proposed as Vice President, Apache jclouds.
  
  Date of last release:
  
@@ -476, +489 @@

  
    Andrei Savu (asavu):
  
-     Project is on track for graduation. Nothing jumped out at me as requiring
+     Project is on track for graduation. Nothing jumped out at me as
-     any special attention. Good luck guys!
+     requiring any special attention. Good luck guys!
  
  --------------------
  MetaModel
@@ -500, +513 @@

  
  How has the community developed since the last report?
  
-   Ankit Kumar has taken the role of being release engineer for our first ASF
+   Ankit Kumar has taken the role of being release engineer for our first
-   release.
+   ASF release.
  
    A draft for bylaws for the project has been added to the wiki, we are
    discussing and finalizing the details.
  
    We are still not seeing a lot of involvement from new contributors, but
-   expect that a release will give us more users and thus involvement from more
+   expect that a release will give us more users and thus involvement from
-   newcomers.
+   more newcomers.
  
  How has the project developed since the last report?
  
-   The primary focus has been on making our first release under ASF umbrella.
+   The primary focus has been on making our first release under ASF
-   The work is coming along well and we have a practical TODO list of less than
+   umbrella.  The work is coming along well and we have a practical TODO
-   5 points now.
+   list of less than 5 points now.
  
  Date of last release:
  
@@ -537, +550 @@

  ODF Toolkit
  
  Java modules that allow programmatic creation, scanning and manipulation of
- OpenDocument Format (ISO/IEC 26300 == ODF) documents
+ OpenDocument Format (ISO/IEC 26300 == ODF) documents.
  
  ODF Toolkit has been incubating since 2011-08-01.
+ 
  Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
  
    1. Grow the community, especially attracting new developers.
-   2. Address issues of too much code development happening outside of Apache
+   2. Address issues of too much code development happening outside of
+      Apache
    3. Hold an informal graduation readiness vote
  
  Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
@@ -556, +571 @@

  
    Higher feed-back from the users mailing list, but no new developers.
  
-   Discussion has started, but without much conclusion, of whether we should aim 
+   Discussion has started, but without much conclusion, of whether we should
-   for TLP status, or merge into an existing TLP with similar alignment, 
+   aim for TLP status, or merge into an existing TLP with similar alignment,
    such as POI or OpenOffice.
  
  How has the project developed since the last report?
@@ -610, +625 @@

  
  How has the community developed since the last report?
  
-   - Committers actively working on making the release. Effort is coordinated
+   - Committers actively working on making the release. Effort is
-     by Jira and mailing list.
+     coordinated by Jira and mailing list.
-   - Committers are in mailing list contact with mentors and infrastructure to
+   - Committers are in mailing list contact with mentors and infrastructure
-     extend infrastructure setup (e.g. Jenkins, KEYS files ...).
+     to extend infrastructure setup (e.g. Jenkins, KEYS files ...).
    - Some committers have started with KEY signing. This is in progress to
      get all committers involved.
  
@@ -621, +636 @@

  
    - There is currently no feature development
    - Instead committers do concentrate on making the first release
-   - A release candidate is available and discussed by community on mailing list
+   - A release candidate is available and discussed by community on mailing
+     list
    - Release voting has started
-   - Documentation on web site is growing and will be published as soon as the
+   - Documentation on web site is growing and will be published as soon as
-     first release is available
+     the first release is available
  
  Date of last release:
  
@@ -644, +660 @@

  
    Raphael Bircher (rbircher):
  
-     Apache Olingo goes direction first release. They allready use mailing list
+     Apache Olingo goes direction first release. They allready use mailing
-     in a good way. It looks like they allready knows how to work with lazy
+     list in a good way. It looks like they allready knows how to work with
-     consensus.  The Mentors are active in a good way. Well, the documentation
+     lazy consensus.  The Mentors are active in a good way. Well, the
-     is poor at the moment. But the project knows this problem and work on it.
+     documentation is poor at the moment. But the project knows this problem
-     Looking forward for a release.
+     and work on it.  Looking forward for a release.
  
  --------------------
  Ripple
  
  Ripple is a browser based mobile phone emulator designed to aid in the
- development of HTML5 based mobile applications. Ripple is a cross platform and
+ development of HTML5 based mobile applications. Ripple is a cross platform
- cross runtime testing/debugging tool. It currently supports such runtimes as
+ and cross runtime testing/debugging tool. It currently supports such
- Cordova, WebWorks aand the Mobile Web.
+ runtimes as Cordova, WebWorks aand the Mobile Web.
  
  Shepherd notes:
  
@@ -681, +697 @@

  Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
  aware of?
  
- None.
+   None.
  
- How has the community developed since the last report?
- 
- Community development continues. Chris Riccomini presented Samza to YARN Dev User Group
with great interest.  Similar talks planned for Bay Area and London Hadoop User Groups this
month.  Interest (and patches) continue to begin to appear.
- 
- How has the project developed since the last report?
+ How has the community developed since the last report?
  
+   Community development continues. Chris Riccomini presented Samza to YARN
+   Dev User Group with great interest.  Similar talks planned for Bay Area
+   and London Hadoop User Groups this month.  Interest (and patches)
+   continue to begin to appear.
+ 
+ How has the project developed since the last report?
+ 
- Several JIRAs opened and committed.  Ready to start working on first release.
+   Several JIRAs opened and committed.  Ready to start working on first
+   release.
  
  Date of last release:
  
@@ -730, +750 @@

  
  How has the community developed since the last report?
  
-   Sentry User Meetup group has nearly 50 members. The project's first meetup
+   Sentry User Meetup group has nearly 50 members. The project's first
-   is planned for the end of Oct. We have 23 sign ups on the dev list.
+   meetup is planned for the end of Oct. We have 23 sign ups on the dev
+   list.
  
  How has the project developed since the last report?
  
    We have migrated all of the infrastructure to ASF. The website is up and
-   running.  Podling name search has been successfully completed. Project had
+   running.  Podling name search has been successfully completed. Project
-   its first release since starting incubation. On the development front, a
+   had its first release since starting incubation. On the development
-   number of new JIRAs have been filed and are being actively worked on.
+   front, a number of new JIRAs have been filed and are being actively
+   worked on.
  
  Date of last release:
  
@@ -769, +791 @@

  Spark
  
  Spark is an open source system for fast and flexible large-scale data
- analysis. Spark provides a general purpose runtime that supports low-latency
+ analysis. Spark provides a general purpose runtime that supports
- execution in several forms.
+ low-latency execution in several forms.
  
  Spark has been incubating since 2013-06-19.
  
@@ -826, +848 @@

  
    Dave Fisher (wave):
    
-     Very active community on a fast track. Good report. Get your JIRA over and you are getting
close.  (Oct. 7)
+     Very active community on a fast track. Good report. Get your JIRA over
+     and you are getting close.  (Oct. 7)
  
    Marvin Humphrey (marvin):
    
@@ -835, +858 @@

  --------------------
  Storm
  
- Storm is a distributed, fault-tolerant, and high-performance realtime computation system
that provides strong guarantees on the processing of data.
+ Storm is a distributed, fault-tolerant, and high-performance realtime
+ computation system that provides strong guarantees on the processing of
+ data.
  
  Storm has been incubating since 2013-09-18.
  
@@ -862, +887 @@

  How has the project developed since the last report?
  
    A software grant has been filed by Nathan Marz for the project. Also, all
-   contributor agreements Nathan has collected pre-Apache have been submitted
+   contributor agreements Nathan has collected pre-Apache have been
-   to Apache. All committers except for two have filed ICLA's and CCLA's.
+   submitted to Apache. All committers except for two have filed ICLA's and
+   CCLA's.
  
-   We are making one last release via the old route during the transition into
+   We are making one last release via the old route during the transition
-   the incubator (0.9.0). We have switched development to an Apache-like
+   into the incubator (0.9.0). We have switched development to an
-   consensus-driven approach and have made lots of progress on closing pull
+   Apache-like consensus-driven approach and have made lots of progress on
-   requests (as well as getting committers active in discussions, merging, and
-   managing release process).
+   closing pull requests (as well as getting committers active in
+   discussions, merging, and managing release process).
  
  Date of last release:
  
@@ -894, +920 @@

  --------------------
  Stratos
  
- Stratos will be a polyglot PaaS framework, providing developers a cloud-based
+ Stratos will be a polyglot PaaS framework, providing developers a
- environment for developing, testing, and running scalable applications, and IT
+ cloud-based environment for developing, testing, and running scalable
- providers high utilization rates, automated resource management, and platform-
+ applications, and IT providers high utilization rates, automated resource
- wide insight including monitoring and billing.
+ management, and platform- wide insight including monitoring and billing.
  
  Stratos has been incubating since 2013-06-20.
  
  Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
  
-   1. Moving all Stratos related trademarks from WSO2 to Apache. Certain WSO2 technologies
such as StratosLive still bear the Stratos name. These have to be resolved in the near future.
We are in the process of sorting these out.
-   2. Get the first Apache Stratos (incubating) release out, and in the process ensure all
ASF release requirements are met.
+   1. Moving all Stratos related trademarks from WSO2 to Apache. Certain
+      WSO2 technologies such as StratosLive still bear the Stratos name.
+      These have to be resolved in the near future. We are in the process of
+      sorting these out.
+   2. Get the first Apache Stratos (incubating) release out, and in the
+      process ensure all ASF release requirements are met.
    3. Build the community
  
  Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
  aware of?
- - none -
- 
- 
- How has the community developed since the last report?
- Three new committers & PMC members have been added to the project. (In Stratos, committers
are also invited to join the PMC). Six Google Hangouts were held in order to educate the community
about the project & the technical details/architecture in the project. A Cloud BarCamp
is being organized for end of October to enable the Stratos community members as well as other
Apache cloud project community members to meet up & exchange ideas & build synergy.
Community members have also written several blog posts. The project has also seen a number
of new contributors who have started actively participating in the project.
- 
- 
- 
- How has the project developed since the last report?
- 
- Code has been refactored to get rid of non ASL 2.0 compatible third party library dependencies.
 Package names have been changed. License files added. Several bugs have been fixed. Builds
have been made available for review & testing. In anticipation of the first release, the
project has made available several RC packs to get community feedback. Documentation has been
added to the wiki. The project site has been properly setup. The roadmap discussions are currently
taking place on the dev list.
- 
- 
- 
- Date of last release:
  
    - none -
  
+ How has the community developed since the last report?
+ 
+   Three new committers & PMC members have been added to the project. (In
+   Stratos, committers are also invited to join the PMC). Six Google
+   Hangouts were held in order to educate the community about the project &
+   the technical details/architecture in the project. A Cloud BarCamp is
+   being organized for end of October to enable the Stratos community
+   members as well as other Apache cloud project community members to meet
+   up & exchange ideas & build synergy. Community members have also written
+   several blog posts. The project has also seen a number of new
+   contributors who have started actively participating in the project.
+ 
+ How has the project developed since the last report?
+ 
+   Code has been refactored to get rid of non ASL 2.0 compatible third party
+   library dependencies.  Package names have been changed. License files
+   added. Several bugs have been fixed. Builds have been made available for
+   review & testing. In anticipation of the first release, the project has
+   made available several RC packs to get community feedback. Documentation
+   has been added to the wiki. The project site has been properly setup. The
+   roadmap discussions are currently taking place on the dev list.
+ 
+ Date of last release:
+ 
+   - none -
+ 
  When were the last committers or PMC members elected?
  
    2013-09-23
- 
- 
  
  Signed-off-by:
  
@@ -947, +986 @@

    Roman Shaposhnik (rvs):
  
      Stratos appears in a solid shape and working on its first incubator
-     release. That said, their report is late which makes it difficult for the
+     release. That said, their report is late which makes it difficult for
-     shepherding work to feel complete. I will try to ping some of the mentors.
+     the shepherding work to feel complete. I will try to ping some of the
+     mentors.
  
    Marvin Humphrey (marvin):
    

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: cvs-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: cvs-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message