incubator-cvs mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Incubator Wiki] Update of "July2012" by JukkaZitting
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2012 20:49:00 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Incubator Wiki" for change notification.

The "July2012" page has been changed by JukkaZitting:
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/July2012?action=diff&rev1=54&rev2=55

Comment:
Unify formatting of podling reports.

  
  Three most important steps moving towards graduation
  
- * Grow the Any23 PPMC and community
+   - Grow the Any23 PPMC and community
- * Ensure at least one Any23 release
+   - Ensure at least one Any23 release
- * Identify and liase with other semantic web/linked data projects within the ASF to establish
common goals and objectives.
+   - Identify and liase with other semantic web/linked data projects within
+     the ASF to establish common goals and objectives.
  
- The Any23 PPMC was delighted to extend an invitation to Peter Ansell during June. The invitation
was subsequently accepted and we are happy to say that Peter is now on board.
+ The Any23 PPMC was delighted to extend an invitation to Peter Ansell during
+ June. The invitation was subsequently accepted and we are happy to say that
+ Peter is now on board.
  
- During June/July the community has focused on constructing the 0.7.0-incubating release
candidate. We have experienced several problems along the way which have delayed this significantly,
however as of writing the community is now VOTE'ing on the 0.7.0-incubating (release candidate
#2) release thanks to Simone Tripodi, we anticipate a release shortly. Since last reporting
we have integrated a number of commits to the project from a range of people. The total number
of commits sitting at >1174 since Any23 entered the Apache Incubator.
+ During June/July the community has focused on constructing the 0.7.0-incubating
+ release candidate. We have experienced several problems along the way which
+ have delayed this significantly, however as of writing the community is now
+ VOTE'ing on the 0.7.0-incubating (release candidate #2) release thanks to
+ Simone Tripodi, we anticipate a release shortly. Since last reporting we have
+ integrated a number of commits to the project from a range of people. The
+ total number of commits sitting at >1174 since Any23 entered the Apache
+ Incubator.
  
- The website at http://incubator.apache.org/any23/ is also up and functioning, and appears
to be
+ The website at http://incubator.apache.org/any23/ is also up and functioning,
- in line with the Apache branding requirements.
+ and appears to be in line with the Apache branding requirements.
  
- Lewis John McGibbney worked with ASF infrastructure to get a zone VM up and running to host
the Any23 web service.
+ Lewis John McGibbney worked with ASF infrastructure to get a zone VM up and
+ running to host the Any23 web service.
  
- The community has again been in touch with members from Stanbol, Jena and Clerezza and we
have already discussed a committer meetup and liason with the aforementioned sister projects
at the forthcoming ApacheCon Europe.
+ The community has again been in touch with members from Stanbol, Jena and
+ Clerezza and we have already discussed a committer meetup and liason with
+ the aforementioned sister projects at the forthcoming ApacheCon Europe.
  
  
  
@@ -100, +113 @@

  --------------------
  AWF
  
- AWF is a non-blocking, asynchronous, event driven high performance web framework
+ AWF is a non-blocking, asynchronous, event driven high performance web
- running on the JVM. AWF, originally named Deft, entered incubation on 2011-07-08.
+ framework running on the JVM. AWF, originally named Deft, entered incubation
+ on 2011-07-08.
  
    - AWF is about to retire from the Apache incubation
    - No community development since last report
@@ -119, +133 @@

  
  Celix entered incubation on November 2, 2010.
  
- Over the last months we have started working on "Native-OSGi" which is an effort to make
a specification for a C and C++ bases OSGi implementation. As detailed in the graduation plan
[1] in the previous report we hope to attract more community members with this move.
- Details for Native-OSGi can be found at [2].
+ Over the last months we have started working on "Native-OSGi" which is an
+ effort to make a specification for a C and C++ bases OSGi implementation. As
+ detailed in the graduation plan [1] in the previous report we hope to attract
+ more community members with this move. Details for Native-OSGi can be found
+ at [2].
  
- Also the donation of the Device Access code has been finished and committed to the SVN repository.
This has been a good experience from both a technical and a process point of view.
+ Also the donation of the Device Access code has been finished and committed
+ to the SVN repository. This has been a good experience from both a technical
+ and a process point of view.
  
- Furthermore there has been a slight increase on the mailing list, hopefully this is a trend
that will continue in the coming months.
+ Furthermore there has been a slight increase on the mailing list, hopefully
+ this is a trend that will continue in the coming months.
  
- * Most important issues to address before we can graduate
+ Most important issues to address before we can graduate:
- Make a first release and grow a larger community. It is also needed to attract some more
committers, there are currently 2.
  
+   Make a first release and grow a larger community. It is also needed to
+   attract some more committers, there are currently 2.
+ 
- * Any issues the Incubator PMC or ASF board not te be aware of
+ Any issues the Incubator PMC or ASF board not te be aware of:
+ 
- None at this time
+   None at this time
  
- * How has the community developed since the last report
+ How has the community developed since the last report:
- There has been an increase on the mailing list, furthermore with the start of the Native-OSGi
project we hope this will increase in the coming months.
  
+   There has been an increase on the mailing list, furthermore with the start
+   of the Native-OSGi project we hope this will increase in the coming months.
+ 
- * How has the project developed since the last report
+ How has the project developed since the last report:
- From a technical point of view, we are working towards a first release. The build files
have been updated to support a more modular project structure.
- Since the implementation is moving forward (al be it slowly), the community growth is the
biggest concern for Celix.
+ 
+   From a technical point of view, we are working towards a first release.
+   The build files have been updated to support a more modular project
+   structure. Since the implementation is moving forward (al be it slowly),
+   the community growth is the biggest concern for Celix.
  
  [1]: http://incubator.apache.org/celix/community/boardreports/boardreports.html#2012-04
  [2]: https://github.com/abroekhuis/NativeOSGi
@@ -151, +179 @@

  Chukwa is an open source data collection system for monitoring large
  distributed systems. Chukwa is built on top of the Hadoop Distributed
  File System (HDFS), HBase and Map/Reduce framework and inherits Hadoop’s
- scalability and robustness. Chukwa also includes a flexible and powerful
+ scalability and robustness. Chukwa also includes a ?exible and powerful
  toolkit for displaying, monitoring and analyzing results to make the best
  use of the collected data.
  
- - Mailing list is picking up some activities.
+   - Mailing list is picking up some activities.
- - 3 new contributors submitted patches since last report in April.
+   - 3 new contributors submitted patches since last report in April.
  
- Most important issues to address.
+ Most important issues to address:
  
-   - Growing the community, especially attracting new developers
+   Growing the community, especially attracting new developers
  
- Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware of
+ Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware of:
  
-   - None at this time.
+   None at this time.
  
- How has the community developed since the last report
+ How has the community developed since the last report:
  
-   - Plan to release version 0.6 to fix some of the major bugs in version 0.5.
+   Plan to release version 0.6 to fix some of the major bugs in version 0.5.
  
- How has the project developed since the last report.
+ How has the project developed since the last report:
  
- Prior to Hadoop summit, there was a thread discussion of retiring Chukwa because there does
not seem to be much activity in the community.  All ppmc member seems to agree to this idea.
 There were some free advertisement for Chukwa in Hadoop summit from word of mouth and speakers
mentioned Chukwa in their talks.  There seems to be some contribution activities happening
after Hadoop summit.  Discussion continued for retiring Chukwa because mentor does not think
a community is developing.  We plan to open enrollment for Chukwa committers for people who
are interested to continue development
+   Prior to Hadoop summit, there was a thread discussion of retiring Chukwa
+   because there does not seem to be much activity in the community.  All PPMC
+   members seem to agree to this idea.  There were some free advertisement for
+   Chukwa in Hadoop summit from word of mouth and speakers mentioned Chukwa in
+   their talks.  There seems to be some contribution activities happening
+   after Hadoop summit.  Discussion continued for retiring Chukwa because
+   mentor does not think a community is developing.  We plan to open enrollment
+   for Chukwa committers for people who are interested to continue development
- for the next quarter.  If activities generate a active community, then we will apply for
becoming top level
+   for the next quarter.  If activities generate a active community, then we
- project.  If no activities happen, then we will retire Chukwa.
+   will apply for becoming top level project.  If no activities happen, then
+   we will retire Chukwa.
  
  Signed off by mentor:
  Shepherd: Benson Margulies
@@ -187, +223 @@

  
  The top 3 issues to address to move towards graduation:
  
-  * CloudStack's source still contains works that are prohibited for release under ASF guidelines
+   - CloudStack's source still contains works that are prohibited for release
+     under ASF guidelines
-  * Performing a release
+   - Performing a release
-  * Migration of infrastructure (bug tracker, CI, websites, etc)
+   - Migration of infrastructure (bug tracker, CI, websites, etc)
  
- How has the community developed since the last report.
+ How has the community developed since the last report:
  
-   As of the time of this report at least one new committer has been added. Additionally,
a number of previously unknown developers have begun making substantial quantities of bugfixes
and even working on new functionality.
+   As of the time of this report at least one new committer has been added.
+   Additionally, a number of previously unknown developers have begun making
+   substantial quantities of bugfixes and even working on new functionality.
  
  How has the project developed since the last report:
  
-  The project itself continues to deal with process questions as well as learning how to
operate in the new environment. A good deal of work has been happening on resolving the problems
in the code base around licensing, though not currently close to finishing.
- 
- 
+   The project itself continues to deal with process questions as well as
+   learning how to operate in the new environment. A good deal of work has
+   been happening on resolving the problems in the code base around licensing,
+   though not currently close to finishing.
  
  Signed off by mentor:
  
@@ -213, +253 @@

  
  The most important steps towards graduation:
  
- * Infrastructure setup (JIRA, Confluence, etc.)
+   - Infrastructure setup (JIRA, Confluence, etc.)
- * CCLA licensing of the existing Crunch code
+   - CCLA licensing of the existing Crunch code
- * Adding new contributors
+   - Adding new contributors
- * Creating a release
+   - Creating a release
  
  Nothing that currently requires IPMC attention.
  
- Community
+ Community:
  
- The developer mailing list has been very active with bug fixes, new features, and discussions
of infrastructure setup and project policies, both from the existing committers and other
developers with an interest in the project. The first patch from a non-committer is currently
being prepared for submission: the code is written, but we were blocking on getting JIRA setup
so that the copyright on the code could cleanly be assigned to the ASF. The JIRA issues were
resolved earlier this week.
+   The developer mailing list has been very active with bug fixes, new
+   features, and discussions of infrastructure setup and project policies,
+   both from the existing committers and other developers with an interest in
+   the project. The first patch from a non-committer is currently being
+   prepared for submission: the code is written, but we were blocking on
+   getting JIRA setup so that the copyright on the code could cleanly be
+   assigned to the ASF. The JIRA issues were resolved earlier this week.
  
- All ICLAs are in place. Cloudera has gathered all of the copyright assignments for the existing
Crunch code from non-Cloudera developers and is preparing the CCLA to assign the copyrights
on the existing Crunch code to the ASF.
+   All ICLAs are in place. Cloudera has gathered all of the copyright
+   assignments for the existing Crunch code from non-Cloudera developers
+   and is preparing the CCLA to assign the copyrights on the existing Crunch
+   code to the ASF.
  
- Development
+ Development:
  
- The 15 commits on the project this month were primarily for documentation and bug fixes,
although we are evaluating two larger patches that bring additional functionality to the library:
1) adding map-side joins and 2) supporting interactive pipeline creation and execution via
the Scala REPL.
+   The 15 commits on the project this month were primarily for documentation
+   and bug fixes, although we are evaluating two larger patches that bring
+   additional functionality to the library: 1) adding map-side joins and
+   2) supporting interactive pipeline creation and execution via the Scala REPL.
  
  Signed off by mentor: phunt, tomwhite
- Shepherd:
  
  --------------------
  cTAKES
  
- cTAKES (clinical Text Analysis and Knowledge Extraction System) is a natural language processing
(NLP) tool for information extraction from electronic medical record clinical free-text.
+ cTAKES (clinical Text Analysis and Knowledge Extraction System) is a natural
+ language processing (NLP) tool for information extraction from electronic
+ medical record clinical free-text.
  
  cTAKES was voted into the Incubator by the IPMC on Monday, June 11, 2012.
  
  Three most important steps moving towards graduation
  
- * Attract new contributors
+   - Attract new contributors
- * Make at least one cTAKES release
+   - Make at least one cTAKES release
- * Get everyone's ICLA on file and start developing code at Apache and using the infrastructure
+   - Get everyone's ICLA on file and start developing code at Apache and using
+     the infrastructure
  
  Anything required IPMC attention?
  
- No
+   No
  
- Community
+ Community:
  
- We are still wrapping up getting a few ICLAs for Guergana Savova and for Sean Finan.
+   We are still wrapping up getting a few ICLAs for Guergana Savova and for
- So far, little mailing list discussion, but the project is getting bootstrapped. The next
- step will be to start developing on list and getting the project going.
+   Sean Finan. So far, little mailing list discussion, but the project is
+   getting bootstrapped. The next step will be to start developing on list
+   and getting the project going.
  
- Jörn Kottmann who originally volunteered to Champion the project, was elected to the IPMC
+   Jörn Kottmann who originally volunteered to Champion the project, was
- and can now officially be our Champion. Congrats Jörn!
+   elected to the IPMC and can now officially be our Champion. Congrats Jörn!
  
- The light discussion on the mailing list is because there will be another release on
+   The light discussion on the mailing list is because there will be another
- the old sourceforge site before the migration to the apache svn and name space updates.
+   release on the old sourceforge site before the migration to the apache svn
+   and name space updates.
  
- Development
+ Development:
  
- So far, nothing much other than getting mailing lists set up, and other infrastructure tasks
+   So far, nothing much other than getting mailing lists set up, and other
+   infrastructure tasks that can be tracked at:
- that can be tracked at: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-4910
+   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-4910
  
  Signed off by mentor: mattmann
- Shepherd:
  
  --------------------
  DeviceMap
@@ -281, +337 @@

  
  There are no issues that require the Incubator PMC's or the board's attention.
  
- Little has happened since our last report in April, a prototype of client-side device probes
+ Little has happened since our last report in April, a prototype of client-side
- has been created [1], a few messages have been exchanged about that but that's all.
+ device probes has been created [1], a few messages have been exchanged about
+ that but that's all.
  
- At this point the future of the project is unclear, we should re-evaluate the situation
+ At this point the future of the project is unclear, we should re-evaluate the
- for the next report in October to see if activity has picked up.
+ situation for the next report in October to see if activity has picked up.
  
  [1] http://markmail.org/message/3bd63yqmuixn6co6
  
@@ -304, +361 @@

  
  There is only one important issue to address in the move towards graduation
  
-    - Understanding process/decision making guidelines (new committer process
+   Understanding process/decision making guidelines (new committer process
-      is undergoing testing, release process still yet to be worked out)
+   is undergoing testing, release process still yet to be worked out)
  
  Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware of
  
-   - None
+   None
  
  How has the community developed since the last report
  
-   - Tasks and proposals contributed by non-committers
+   Tasks and proposals contributed by non-committers
  
  How has the project developed since the last report.
  
-   * A first public release 0.1-incubating has been done.
+   - A first public release 0.1-incubating has been done.
-   * A talk of DirectMemory has been presented at DevoXX France (thanks to Olivier Lamy and
Benoit Perroud). Slides (in French) are available http://www.slideshare.net/benoitperroud/direct-memory-3devoxxfr201220418-12607286)
-   * A talk of DirectMemory has been presented (thanks to Benoit Perroud) at Java User Group
Lausanne. Slides are available http://www.slideshare.net/benoitperroud/direct-memory-jugl20120308-12607297
-   * A talk of Direct has been presented at BreizhCamp (thanks to OlivierLamy). Slides are
available http://www.slideshare.net/olamy/heapoff-wtf
+ 
+   - A talk of DirectMemory has been presented at DevoXX France (thanks to
+     Olivier Lamy and Benoit Perroud). Slides (in French) are available at
+     http://www.slideshare.net/benoitperroud/direct-memory-3devoxxfr201220418-12607286
+ 
+   - A talk of DirectMemory has been presented (thanks to Benoit Perroud) at
+     Java User Group Lausanne. Slides are available at
+     http://www.slideshare.net/benoitperroud/direct-memory-jugl20120308-12607297
+ 
+   - A talk of Direct has been presented at BreizhCamp (thanks to OlivierLamy).
+     Slides are available at http://www.slideshare.net/olamy/heapoff-wtf
  
  Signed off by mentor: Olivier Lamy
  Shepherd: Benson Margulies
@@ -328, +393 @@

  --------------------
  EasyAnt
  
- EasyAnt is a build system based on Apache Ant and Apache Ivy. Incubating since 2011-01-31.
+ EasyAnt is a build system based on Apache Ant and Apache Ivy.
+ Incubating since 2011-01-31.
  
  Towards graduation, we need to:
+ 
- - Create a release
+   - Create a release
- - Build a community
+   - Build a community
  
  Since the last report:
  
- There was very low activity on the project. There was actually no commit on the project.
Some work has been done though a bug was found on a dependency, Apache Ant, and a bug was
reported, and a patch committed since one of the EasyAnt committer happens to have commit
rights there.
- After acknowledging this, a mail was sent on the dev mailing to remotivate people to focus
on doing a release. A positive response and some commits were following.
+   There was very low activity on the project. There was actually no commit on
+   the project. Some work has been done though a bug was found on a dependency,
+   Apache Ant, and a bug was reported, and a patch committed since one of the
+   EasyAnt committer happens to have commit rights there.
+ 
+   After acknowledging this, a mail was sent on the dev mailing to remotivate
+   people to focus on doing a release. A positive response and some commits
+   were following.
  
  Signed off by mentor: bodewig
  Shepherd: Dave Fisher
@@ -351, +424 @@

  
  Still following the objetive of making the first Apache release:
  
- 4 JIRA issues were fixed since last period, the project website has been revamped, and few
other niceties & fixes have got
+   4 JIRA issues were fixed since last period, the project website has been
+   revamped, and few other niceties & fixes have got into trunk (for example
- into trunk (for example lucene library was upgraded to 3.6.0).
+   lucene library was upgraded to 3.6.0).
  
- 2 Release candidates have been made, but they didn't succeed because of technical issues.
Hopefully the third RC will become the first ASF release.
+   2 Release candidates have been made, but they didn't succeed because of
+   technical issues. Hopefully the third RC will become the first ASF release.
  
- The main issues blocking graduation keep being the same as in the last report: resolution
acceptance, community and IPMC
+ The main issues blocking graduation keep being the same as in the last report:
- graduation vote.
+ resolution acceptance, community and IPMC graduation vote.
  
  Signed off by mentor:
  Shepherd: Jukka Zitting
@@ -367, +442 @@

  
  (introduced to Apache incubator on Jul 4, 2011)
  
- Kafka provides an extremely high throughput distributed publish/subscribe messaging system.
Additionally, it supports relatively long term persistence of messages to support a wide variety
of consumers, partitioning of the message stream across servers and consumers, and functionality
for loading data into Apache Hadoop for offline, batch processing.
+ Kafka provides an extremely high throughput distributed publish/subscribe
+ messaging system. Additionally, it supports relatively long term persistence
+ of messages to support a wide variety of consumers, partitioning of the
+ message stream across servers and consumers, and functionality for loading
+ data into Apache Hadoop for offline, batch processing.
  
- * A list of the three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation.
+ Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
  
+   None.
+ 
- None. Previously, there was some concern about the diversity of the project that we believe
has been addressed:
+   Previously, there was some concern about the diversity of the project
+   that we believe has been addressed:
+ 
- - The project now has active committers from four companies
+   - The project now has active committers from four companies
- - and continues to receive patches from other contributors from various institutions.
+   - and continues to receive patches from other contributors from various
+     institutions.
+ 
- We are considering whether to pursue graduation immediately or focus exclusively on the
development of 0.8.
+   We are considering whether to pursue graduation immediately or focus
+   exclusively on the development of 0.8.
  
- * Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware of
+ Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware of:
  
- None.
+   None.
  
- * How has the community developed since the last report
+ How has the community developed since the last report:
  
- - The mailing list continues to be very active with bug reports, patch submissions, feature
requests and use cases. [(Apr,May,Jun): kafka-users (151, 261, 251); kafka-dev (142, 195,
380)].
+   - The mailing list continues to be very active with bug reports, patch
+     submissions, feature requests and use cases.
+     [(Apr,May,Jun): kafka-users (151, 261, 251); kafka-dev (142, 195, 380)].
+ 
- - Added two new committers.
+   - Added two new committers.
- - Conducted the first Kafka user group meeting with over 50 attendees (archived video link
available here: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Kafka+papers+and+presentations).
This was a very successful event that gave users and contributors an opportunity to meet and
discuss Kafka usage at various companies, ongoing development efforts, feature requests, etc.
+ 
+   - Conducted the first Kafka user group meeting with over 50 attendees
+     (archived video link available here: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Kafka+papers+and+presentations).
+     This was a very successful event that gave users and contributors an
+     opportunity to meet and discuss Kafka usage at various companies, ongoing
+     development efforts, feature requests, etc.
+ 
- - Received and reviewed several major patches (including contributions from non-committers).
+   - Received and reviewed several major patches (including contributions from
+     non-committers).
  
- * How has the project developed since the last report.
+ How has the project developed since the last report:
  
- - Intra-cluster replication (KAFKA-50)
+   - Intra-cluster replication (KAFKA-50)
-   - Considerable progress has been made on the design and implementation of this much-anticipated
feature.
+     - Considerable progress has been made on the design and implementation of
+       this much-anticipated feature.
-   - Regular status updates are being sent out on the kafka-dev mailing list.
+     - Regular status updates are being sent out on the kafka-dev mailing list.
- - Another significant project that is under discussion and development is the consumer redesign
(KAFKA-364) and consumer coordinator implementation (KAFKA-264).
+ 
+   - Another significant project that is under discussion and development is
+     the consumer redesign (KAFKA-364) and consumer coordinator implementation
+     (KAFKA-264).
+ 
- - Released Kafka 0.7.1 in June. This is the second Kafka release since its introduction
to Apache incubator
+   - Released Kafka 0.7.1 in June. This is the second Kafka release since its
+     introduction to Apache incubator
  
  Signed off by mentor: Alan Cabrera
  Shepherd: Matt Franklin
@@ -421, +523 @@

    - Revamped MPI framework support (thanks Harvey Feng!).
    - New JS based web interface (thanks Jon Fuchs!).
    - Initial cgroups abstractions/interfaces for better resource isolation
- on Linux (thanks Jie Yu!).
+     on Linux (thanks Jie Yu!).
-   - Refactor of allocator for more sophisticated allocations (thanks Thomas
+   - Refactor of allocator for more sophisticated allocations
- Marshall!).
+     (thanks Thomas Marshall!).
    - Numerous bug fixes (FD_CLOEXEC, JSON escaping, killtree.sh issues, etc).
  
  Top priorities prior to graduation:
@@ -451, +553 @@

  Our last release was Januart 14th, 2012.
  We voted in our most recent committer on November 16th, 2011.
  
- Most important issues to address.
+ Most important issues to address:
  
-   - Growing the community, especially attracting new developers
+   Growing the community, especially attracting new developers
  
- Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware of
+ Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware of:
  
-   - None at this time.
+   None at this time.
  
- How has the community developed since the last report
+ How has the community developed since the last report:
  
    - We are mentoring two GSoC students on ODF- Toolkit related projects
+ 
-   - One of our leading developers has had a job change and is no longer involved with the
project
+   - One of our leading developers has had a job change and is no longer
+     involved with the project
+ 
-   - Considering content-related track at ApacheCon, perhaps with other related projects
like OpenOffice and POI
+   - Considering content-related track at ApacheCon, perhaps with other
+     related projects like OpenOffice and POI
+ 
+ How has the project developed since the last report:
+ 
+   Working on next release, to feature the new document encryption support
+ 
+ Signed off by mentor:
+ Shepherd: Ross Gardler
+ 
+ --------------------
+ Oozie
+ 
+ Oozie is a workflow management and scheduler primarily for Hadoop based jobs.
+ 
+ Oozie entered the incubation on July 11, 2011.
+ 
+ The three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
+ 
+   - Improve the documentations:  user and development for quicker adoption
+   - Automate the formal release process.
+   - Diversify the dev and committer base.
+ 
+ Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware of:
+ 
+   No issues.
+ 
+ How has the community developed since the last report:
+ 
+   - 88 JIRAs were resolved and 145 JIRAs were closed in last quarter.
+   - 103 JIRAs were created since last report.
+   - Oozie dev/users are active in the email lists (around 1000 emails in
+     oozie-dev and 250+ in oozie-user).
+   - Around 6 new developers are contributing to the process and coding.
  
  How has the project developed since the last report.
  
-   - Working on next release, to feature the new document encryption support
- 
- Signed off by mentor:
- Shepherd: Ross Gardler
- 
- --------------------
- Oozie
- 
- Oozie is a workflow management and scheduler primarily for Hadoop based jobs.
- 
- Oozie entered the incubation on July 11, 2011.
- 
- * A list of the three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
-    * Improve the documentations:  user and development for quicker adoption
-    * Automate the formal release process.
-    * Diversify the dev and committer base.
- 
- * Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware of:
-     * No issues.
- 
- * How has the community developed since the last report:
-    * 88 JIRAs were resolved and 145 JIRAs were closed in last quarter.
-    * 103 JIRAs were created since last report.
-    * Oozie dev/users are active in the email lists (around 1000 Emails in oozie-dev and
250+ in oozie-user).
-    * Around 6 new developers are contributing to the process and coding.
- 
- * How has the project developed since the last report.
-        * The second Oozie release (3.2.0) from Apache incubator has been successfully accomplished.
+   - The second Oozie release (3.2.0) from Apache incubator has been
-         * A lot of new features are added. Fixed a lot of bugs too. Nearly 230 JIRAs were
closed/resolved in last three months.
+     successfully accomplished.
+ 
+   - A lot of new features are added. Fixed a lot of bugs too. Nearly 230
+     JIRAs were closed/resolved in last three months.
+ 
-        * Oozie contribution process in now more stream-lined.  Further improvement is going
on.
+   - Oozie contribution process in now more stream-lined. Further improvement
+     is going on.
  
  Signed off by mentor: ddas
  Shepherd: Matt Hogstrom
@@ -562, +678 @@

  quickly. Hopefully this will increase visibility of the project.
  
  Items to be resolved before graduation:
+ 
-         * Generate more publicity for the project.
+   - Generate more publicity for the project.
-         * Develop members of the user community to submit feature
+   - Develop members of the user community to submit feature extensions.
-           extensions.
  
  Signed off by mentor:
  Shepherd: Jukka Zitting
@@ -582, +698 @@

  an Apache-licensed parallel execution engine developed at UCI.
  
  So far the top issues were
+ 
- 1) low activity
+   1) low activity
- 2) small community
+   2) small community
- 3) create a release.
+   3) create a release.
+ 
  The activities on these issues are:
  
- ad 1)
+   ad 1)
- Since this change of focus - and the start of a GSoC project with
+   Since this change of focus - and the start of a GSoC project with
- this new focus - development activity has picked up significantly.
+   this new focus - development activity has picked up significantly.
- This due to both activity of the GSoC student (Preston Carman) and
+   This due to both activity of the GSoC student (Preston Carman) and
- of the existing committers.
+   of the existing committers.
  
- ad 2)
+   ad 2)
- Preston Carman a) has provided good patches for VXQuery and
+   Preston Carman a) has provided good patches for VXQuery and
- b) interacts very well with the existing community.
+   b) interacts very well with the existing community.
- Consequently he is a candidate to be the next committer for VXQuery.
+   Consequently he is a candidate to be the next committer for VXQuery.
- After the initial vote on vxquery-private failed (all committers
+   After the initial vote on vxquery-private failed (all committers
- voted +1, but there was no mentor/IPMC member vote), Jukka Zitting
+   voted +1, but there was no mentor/IPMC member vote), Jukka Zitting
- voted +1. The next step is to finalize the administrative part to
+   voted +1. The next step is to finalize the administrative part to
- make Preston a committer.
+   make Preston a committer.
  
- Further, there is a plan to publish a  paper to show the projects
+   Further, there is a plan to publish a  paper to show the projects
- utility and to increase the visibility of the incubation effort.
+   utility and to increase the visibility of the incubation effort.
  
- ad 3)
+   ad 3)
- After the change of focus some things work, but not enough to
+   After the change of focus some things work, but not enough to
- build a release that is easily consumable. VXQuery should be
+   build a release that is easily consumable. VXQuery should be
- released before a paper is published to enable readers or the
+   released before a paper is published to enable readers or the
- paper to run the software.
+   paper to run the software.
  
  Signed off by mentor:
  Shepherd: Matt Franklin

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: cvs-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: cvs-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message