From "Bleeker, Troy C." <Bleeker.T...@mayo.edu>
Subject 3.0 doc summary; one failing test
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2013 20:05:25 GMT
I think I've done as much as I can do on the doc at this point. I was able to run the Linux
install/tests for both dev and user. For user, the results of the CVD run were basically nothing.
There was but 1 annotation for all the text pasted in. No concepts. Nothing. If someone wants
to verify this we could create a JIRA item. I may have missed something.

Otherwise (with completed items left out) here is what could still be done:

- The examples, as described by Andy, would be more than a readme should have. This would
be great for a how-to guide. The Developer Guide and User Guide have been renamed to Install
Guides. I don't think a how-to guide should be incorporated into these but should be its own
document. Making one would be great and as you say should include things like 1) pointers
to where to find basic information 2) very high level overview of the components in the context
of using them to do a very basic task 3) I think it was suggested that the Getting Started
page might be something like this in very short form. If we did that then it would point to
a more comprehensive how-to guide. [The Getting Started page is a short start now.]

- Project history page of all cTAKES releases placed on Apache sites somewhere. Good plan
if short. I would not copy readmes there but have links to them. This was done in the past
but removed from the bottom of the downloads page. This page exists now but is not linked
to from the Apache cTAKES site. Here is a direct link: http://incubator.apache.org/ctakes/roadmap.html.
Decide if you want to go forward with something like this. An archive page will be needed
when we have more releases under our belt.

- Creating a single download for a newcomer. We should revisit this at some point in order
to make the best first impression. A new user should be able to get from nothing to running
cTAKES in three steps: download, uncompress, run (like 2.5).

- Agree on one structure for cTAKES projects. The binary distribution is in a different form
that the developer source. We decided a long time ago to try something new. It never caught
on in the developer ranks. We should either complete the transformation in dev or return the
user binary structure to match dev. New users are potential new developers of cTAKES in the
future. It's confusing when those two structures are not the same for that person. If you
want to attract contributions well ... this does not help.

Perhaps these could all be made JIRA items.

Thanks
Troy Bleeker * Senior Business Analyst CBAP(r) * Biomedical Statistics and Informatics
Phone: 507-293-1574 * Fax: 507-284-0360 * bleeker.troy@mayo.edu
Mayo Clinic * 200 First Street SW * Rochester, MN 55905 * www.mayoclinic.org