From "Masanz, James J." <Masanz.Ja...@mayo.edu>
Subject RE: assistance with dictionary lookup issue
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2013 22:01:20 GMT
I'll take a look at the patch. Also be aware of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CTAKES-31
which talks about a way of enhancing performance  -- if willing to assume annotations (BaseTokens
currently) are sorted. Currently it's always BaseToken and always sorted, just not sure if
we want to code to that assumption.

From: ctakes-dev-return-1137-Masanz.James=mayo.edu@incubator.apache.org [ctakes-dev-return-1137-Masanz.James=mayo.edu@incubator.apache.org]
on behalf of Tim Miller [timothy.miller@childrens.harvard.edu]
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2013 3:43 PM
To: ctakes-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: assistance with dictionary lookup issue

Pei helped me track down an issue with performance I'd noticed in the
dictionary annotator, and I have filed the issue here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CTAKES-143

I implemented a quick and dirty proof of concept fix and noticed
dramatic performance improvement.  I attached the patch to the issue,
but it involves changing an interface (currently does not try to fix
other implementing classes so obviously not ready for primetime), so I
wanted to solicit the list first in case anyone with better knowledge of
that module has some better engineering ideas than what I came up with.

Thanks,

--
Tim Miller, PhD
Postdoctoral Research Fellow