From "Chen, Pei" <Pei.C...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject RE: cTAKES 3.0 developer guide review
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 21:23:35 GMT
For developers looking to contribute code back to cTAKES, I would recommend trunk as the place
to begin...
A branch was created from trunk so that releases could be created but new development could
continue on with trunk (since we realized it may take some time to get this first release
out the door.).
A tag was created (always automatically by the mvn release plugin each time we create a rc)
to guarantee that we could always recreate a release from source.  [yes we can clone or rename
the -rc7 tag once it's has been successfully voted on and released]
There should be a very specific reason why someone would build from source and work directly
off a branch or a tag such as creating a release by a release manager or making a bug fix
to a branch for a patch release.

From: Bleeker, Troy C. [Bleeker.Troy@mayo.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:39 PM
To: 'ctakes-dev@incubator.apache.org'
Subject: RE: cTAKES 3.0 developer guide review

I thought that this might be the URL that would exist once 3.0 makes it through a release
candidate vote and becomes the first Apache cTAKES release. Is that incorrect?

But you're right it is a tag. I'm not a cTAKES code developer so my understanding may need
to be shaped here for the doc's sake. Developers will need to make changes to the current
tag and also make sure that those changes make it to the trunk (in almost every case). The
trunk may be unstable at any given time, but a tag should be relatively stable? Which one
would we suggest that a developer checkout if it is their first foray into cTAKES?

Perhaps a definition of how cTAKES uses tags and branches is in order. Here's my guess based
on what is there:
Branches - cTAKES uses SVN branches to delineate 1) major versions and 2) one-off attempts
at major functions. One-off attempts may or may not be merged back into the trunk in the future.
Tags - cTAKES uses SVN tags to delineate release candidates, betas, major releases and any
other stable points in time.

What's not in that definition is how we do fixes for a release. Let's say 3.0 is released.
Now we want a 3.0.1 for a critical item. Is that a tag or a branch?

Thanks
Troy