From Andy McMurry <mcmurry.a...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate cTAKES from Incubator
Date Sat, 16 Feb 2013 04:11:50 GMT
Clarifications

There isn't a last Apache release. But there are last previous NIH, Sourceforge, and Apache
releases?
TODO: Project History Page (Simple, just the releases and times, ideally with JIRA generated
release notes).

Suggestion: Demonstration > explanation. Use Examples !!

EXAMPLE 1 : Basic Pipeline (without UMLS)

** SHOW Before and after clinical text, demonstrates purpose
** LIST the 5 steps
** Most impressive demo would be the smoking status pipeline

EXAMPLE 2: Basic Pipeline (with UMLS)

** SHOW Before and after (input text -> output annotations)
** LIST the steps
** Most impressive demo would be a negation of a cancer diagnosis and NER of a medication
(chemotherapuetic drug).

Thoughts?
--andy

On Feb 15, 2013, at 7:36 PM, Andy McMurry <mcmurry.andy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sure thing Pei.
>
> I dont think cTAKES is ready for attention grabbing release (humble opinion).
> And when you release you want to grab attention! ! cTAKES is awesome!!
>
> Suggestions (release blockers)
>
> (1) Downloads
> http://incubator.apache.org/ctakes/downloads.cgi
> ! Link to install instructions is not there but "Verifying signatures" takes up 20% of
the page. NEEDS OBVIOUS LINK TO  INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS.
> ! Last official release is blank because there isn't one, remove it
> ! First mirror I tried was a 404? (not sure which one). I changed the mirror then OK.
Test all mirrors (script)
> ? Previous releases are VERY confusing.
> ? The NIH and SourceForge pages  should redirect to cTAKES, google "cTAKES download"
and imagine how confused a beginner would be.

> (2) User Guide
> http://incubator.apache.org/ctakes/3.0.0/user-guide-3.0
> ? 3.0.0 : no list of new features from last stable release. Why would a user bother to
upgrade to a beta?
> ! Would be better to have a bundled download with resources, if possible. Otherwise,
make it clear to a newcomer what the benefit of getting UMLS / LVG is. (one sentence).
> ! Needs a very high level overview of the components in the context of using them to
do a very basic task like.
> ! This is likely the most frequently accessed document for cTAKES. It has almost no pointers
to where to find basic information.

> (3) OTHER
> * The NCI and SourceForge links are now highly confusing.
> * While I am downloading, I should be reading the recommended "Get Started" guide
>
> I'm still downloading the 2GB resources file.
> I'll try and get back to you about the install when that is done too.
>
> This constructive criticism is because I believe cTAKES is AWESOME.
> Hard to see how awesome it is given the current instructions.
>
> --Andy
>

> On Feb 15, 2013, at 5:02 PM, "Chen, Pei" <Pei.Chen@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Andy,
>> So much has changed in cTAKES since last year, if you have a chance- do you also
want to try downloading the -bin and ensure at least the steps in the README are able to get
you started?

>> --Pei

and tell us how long it took to get started?

>> John Resig (jQuery founder) once told me "if it takes more than 15 minutes to get
started, then that is way too long".

>> "What is necessary is that enough investment be put into presentation that newcomers
can get past the obstacle of unfamiliarity. …
>> Hactivation energy: the amount of energy a newcomer must put in before she starts
getting something back"
>> -- From "Producing Open Source Software"
>>
>> http://books.google.com/books?id=0vbr7xvvzjgC&pg=PA21&lpg=PA21&dq=hacktivation+energy&source=bl&ots=D0hP85ndwz&sig=G5HO-7GbLqQPwLaI6210D9WGk2E&hl=en&sa=X&ei=N6EeUZXVHMHhiALq3YG4BQ&ved=0CDoQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=hacktivation%20energy&f=false
>>

>> On Feb 15, 2013, at 12:55 PM, "Chen, Pei" <Pei.Chen@childrens.harvard.edu>
wrote:

>>> This is to open a discussion to graduate Apache cTAKES podling from the Apache
Incubator.

>>> Apache cTAKES entered the Incubator in June of 2012. We have made significant
progress with the project since moving over to Apache. We currently have 18 committers listed
on our status page at [1] including over 10 which accepted after the podling was formed.

>>> During incubation, cTAKES has :
>>> * Produced 1 Release
>>> * Added 10 new Committer/PPMC members and shows constant community activities
>>> * Cleared IP on code
>>> * Developed Roadmap(s) for the next major and minor releases in a community process
and started working on that [2]
>>> * The community of Apache cTAKES is active, healthy, and growing and has demonstrated
the ability to self-govern using accepted Apache practices.