From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] no binary release of cTAKES here at Apache? FW: [VOTE] Apache cTAKES 3.0.0-incubating RC5 release
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2013 08:59:48 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
<chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Just to clarify -- that's Benson, talking for Roy. :) I realize that this
> has got all skitzo lately, but just pointing out that this is far from
> doctrine. Apache OpenOffice is a prime counter example to his point and I
> just made that point myself.

+1 Apache hosts various different kinds of binaries as a convenience
for users. The main requirements for such binaries are that they're
properly documented (licensing metadata, etc.) and signed, only
contain components that meet the Apache licensing policies and come
from a trusted member of the community (as there's no easy way to
verify the contents of a binary).

So far the only reason I've seen that could preclude cTAKES from
making such binaries available on www.apache.org/dist is the licensing
status of some the contained models. Having resolved LEGAL issues on
those would take care of that concern.

BR,

Jukka Zitting