From "Chen, Pei" <Pei.C...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject RE: Create a ctakes-3.0.0-incubating RC4 soon?
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2012 16:07:15 GMT
Hi Jukka,
Welcome, it's awesome to have the chair (or former char now?) of the incubator project join!!

> * The source archive is pretty big at ~600MB. Surely that's not all source code
> written by you? External or precompiled binaries like the various lib jars
> should not be included in the source release as their contents can't
> reasonably be reviewed. Instead they can be made available as a separate -
> libs (or -deps) archive, or (better yet) downloaded automatically from
> something like the central Maven repository as a part of the build.

These files were system generated statistical  models built by their respective authors/institutions
who contributed the source code and should be ASL 2.0 licensed along with the code.
For the ones that had a license or potential license conflict, we moved them to maven central
to be automatically downloaded.  For example:
<!-- cTAKES Resources -->
<dependency>
<groupId>net.sourceforge.ctakesresources</groupId>
<artifactId>ctakes-resources-umls2011ab</artifactId>
<version>3.0.0</version>
</dependency>

Do you think this is a show-stopper from releasing this candidate out of incubator?
Or will we need to move the remaining resources out the projects and have it pulled in automatically
by maven like the umls? i.e. Can we potential do this for the next release?

> * The top-level LICENSE file only mentions ALv2. Are there no non-ALv2 code
> or dependencies included? All the licenses covering code or other bits
> included in a release archive should be included or at least referenced in the
> LICENSE file.
Do we need separate LICENSE/NOTICE files?  There is one that inside ctakes-distribution (that
gets copied when packaging all of the binaries contains references to the 3rd party libs.)

> * How does the licensing of models like the ones in ctakes-dependency-
> parser/src/main/resources/org/apache/ctakes/dependency/parser/models/
> dependency/
> work?
Yes, these models were system generated statistical  models built by their respective authors/institutions
who contributed the source code and licensed along with the code ASL.

Thanks,
Pei