From Steven Bethard <steven.beth...@Colorado.EDU>
Subject Re: type system changes needed to read SHARP data
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2012 10:32:52 GMT
On Dec 5, 2012, at 9:36 PM, "Wu, Stephen T., Ph.D." <Wu.Stephen@mayo.edu> wrote:
> For 3.1.0 the type system should include more than just "LabMention,
> ProcedureMention, SignSymptomMention, DiseaseDisorderMention,
> AnatomicalSiteMention."  It should also include the exhaustive list of
> attributes, which would come as subtypes of Modifier.

+1

On Dec 6, 2012, at 8:20 PM, "Chen, Pei" <Pei.Chen@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Just taking a step back,  should there always be a 1-1 mapping between human annotated
data (Knowtator schema) and the System annotated data (cTAKES type system)?
> If this is true, then should they really share the schema then?  i.e. Can the annotation
tool(s) be auto generated/based off the type system schema or vice versa then?  Just thinking
of ways we may save time with mappingsā€¦

Ideally yes, they should share exactly the same schema. The main problem here is annotation
tools. What we'd really want is an annotation tool that works directly off of a UIMA type
system file. But I don't know of any such tool. (And no, the CAS Editor doesn't count - that's
not usable for any real large-scale complex annotation.)

Steve