From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: commit message format?
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2012 18:37:58 GMT
Hey Steve,

I like to say:

* patch for CTAKES-xxx <short issue desc> contributed by <Contributor First, Last>.
 -- this allows someone who's not a committer yet to get credit for the patch.
* fix for CTAKES-xxx <short issue desc>. - indicates you contributed the fix yourself,
or committed an existing committers patch.

Something like the above usually helps to distinguish between new contributors and existing
committers and ties to the JIRA issue ID
which is good practice.

Cheers,
Chris

On Oct 23, 2012, at 11:13 AM, Steven Bethard wrote:

> Is there a recommended commit message format? Especially when closing an issue?
>
> In Google Code, I would write "Fixes Issue XXX. <Some description of the issue>"
and then Google Code would automatically close the issue. Is there anything like that for
the Apache JIRA?

> I found some general Apache stuff (http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/conventions.html#log-messages)
but it's more about how to write a useful message and not so much about a specific format.