From Steven Bethard <steven.beth...@Colorado.EDU>
Subject Re: cTAKES uber jar distribution
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2012 21:57:53 GMT
On Oct 11, 2012, at 3:21 PM, "Bleeker, Troy C." <Bleeker.Troy@mayo.edu> wrote:
> 1) A "user" (researcher but non-programmer) wants value from cTAKES with no compiles,
no dev env, just simple download/install/use.

This sounds like someone who wants an executable jar file including all the dependencies.
We can create such a thing when there's a cTAKES GUI, using an approach like the following:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/574594/how-can-i-create-an-executable-jar-with-dependencies-using-maven

> 2) A programmer new to cTAKES wants to take the whole, as quickly as possible, into some
kind of dev env, hopes not to have to deal with any dependency or build issues (given a stable
release) and invoke the APIs. Kick the tires is the notion.

This sounds like someone who wants a jar file with all the dependencies, but doesn't care
if it's executable.

They can use the same jar file as generated for (1).

(I personally think that any programmer who "hopes not to have to deal with any dependency"
is a lost cause in terms of a programmer, but it wouldn't cost us anything to support this
use case.)

> 3) A programmer uses cTAKES mostly as a black-box. They take cTAKES as a whole, perhaps
minimal changes, include everything. Although dictionaries could be replaced if they desire.

I'm not sure what the difference between this person and the person from (2) is. Do they also
just want the jar files? Or do they want something else?

Here's a more concrete suggestion:

3.5) A programmer who wants to use their favorite dependency management tool (Maven, Ivy,
SBT, Buildr, etc.) to depend on some (or all) of released versions of cTAKES modules.

This is someone who wants one jar file per module, deployed to Maven Central (that's where
all those dependency management tools look for jars). This is pretty much the default thing
supported by the standard `mvn release:prepare` and `mvn release:perform`.

> 4) An experienced cTAKES developer - mash cTAKES into any form they want, change it,
possibly contribute to Apache. May redistribute according to the license.

This person will be working from the cTAKES repository, and I think it's acceptable to put
additional constraints on them. In particular, I think we should say that we only promise
support for:

* Building via Eclipse
* Building via Maven at the command line

Steve