From "Masanz, James J." <Masanz.Ja...@mayo.edu>
Subject RE: Eclipse, Maven and JCasGen
Date Sun, 07 Oct 2012 02:15:08 GMT

Does it behave that way if you turn "Build Automatically" off?  Would that be an OK work around
for now?

Otherwise perhaps a post to UIMA's Users forum?

From: ctakes-dev-return-520-Masanz.James=mayo.edu@incubator.apache.org [ctakes-dev-return-520-Masanz.James=mayo.edu@incubator.apache.org]
on behalf of Steven Bethard [steven.bethard@Colorado.EDU]
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2012 4:27 PM
To: ctakes-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Eclipse, Maven and JCasGen

On Sep 28, 2012, at 9:58 AM, Steven Bethard <Steven.Bethard@Colorado.EDU> wrote:
> I have Eclipse set to "Build Automatically" and I'm constantly seeing tasks running in
the background in my Progress view that look like:

> Compiling ctakes-type-system/target/generated-sources/...
> Refreshing ctakes-type-system/target/generated-sources/...
>
> These tasks run, complete and then immediately start again, and as a result, my Eclipse
runs very slowly.

So this is still pretty crippling for me. The only way I have found to work on cTAKES right
now is to apply the patch I proposed. But every time someone updates a pom.xml, I get merge
conflicts and have to spend a bunch of time updating the patch.

Any suggestions of what I can do in the meantime?

Or any progress on reviewing the patch in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CTAKES-65?

Steve

> I think the solution is to create a real jcasgen-maven-plugin and a proper m2e connector
that only runs JCasGen when the type system has changed (or on project import, or if target/generated-sources/jcasgen
is missing, etc.).

> What do you all think? Does this approach sound okay? I have a working plugin and m2e
connector, but I didn't want to just commit the change because if I do, everyone will have
to install the m2e connector in their Eclipse environment. So I figured we should discuss
it first.

> Steve
>
> P.S. For anyone was experiencing the same problem, could you try out the following fix?
>
> (1) Apply the attached patch to cTAKES trunk, which uses the jcasgen-maven-plugin in
the pom.xml files instead of the exec-maven-plugin and build-helper-maven-plugin:
>    $ svn patch ctakes-jcasgen-maven-plugin.diff
>
> (2) Open Eclipse, and refresh your cTAKES checkout. You should see a bunch of errors
in the Problems view that look like "Project configuration is not up-to-date with pom.xml.
Run Maven->Update Project or use Quick Fix."

> (3) Update the Maven projects as suggested.
>
> (4) You should now see some new errors that look like: "Plugin execution not covered
by lifecycle configuration: org.cleartk:jcasgen-maven-plugin:0.9.0:generate (execution: default,
phase: generate-sources)"

> (5) Install the m2e connector for the jcasgen-maven-plugin. Go to Help -> Install
New Software…, add the update site http://cleartk.googlecode.com/git/jcasgen-m2e-connector/org.cleartk.plugin.jcasgen.m2e.repo/target/repository/
and install the "m2e connector for JCasGen Maven plugin". Eclipse will restart.

> (6) Update the Maven projects again, as in step (3). The errors should all be gone now.
>
> Some things to try to make sure the fix worked:
>
> (1) Check that  JCasGen is no longer be constantly running in the background. Go to the
Progress view and make sure that eventually you see just "No operations to display at this
time."

> (2) Modify a few non-type-system files and and make sure (in the Progress view again)
that JCasGen does not run.

> (3) Modify a type system, and make sure that JCasGen *does* run. An easy way to check
this is to change an annotation or feature name and make sure you got some new compile errors.