From Steven Bethard <steven.beth...@Colorado.EDU>
Subject Re: technical release process questions
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2012 14:36:36 GMT
On Oct 31, 2012, at 3:29 PM, "Chen, Pei" <Pei.Chen@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:
>> (1) When we decide to make a release, does someone create a branch for
>> the release? I'm assuming yes, because otherwise there needs to be some
>> way of freezing development on the trunk. Where can I find that branch?
> By default, the mvn release plugin automatically always creates a tag by default(example
3.0.0-incubating, etc.).
> Code is checked out and built from this tag for distribution.
> The tag could be treated as a frozen version when it was cut from trunk and the release
number is incremented in trunk for future development.

Ok, so you're just cutting the release directly from trunk then. In that case, perhaps there
should be a "Trunk is frozen" announcement, where we warn developers not to commit anything?
I imagine we don't want random changes sneaking in while you're in the middle of the release
process.

The alternative is to branch first, and cut the release from the branch. Maven release will
still create the same tag, but it will create it from the branch instead of the trunk. This
approach wouldn't require the "frozen" announcement, and people could keep working from trunk.

Steve