From Steven Bethard <steven.beth...@Colorado.EDU>
Subject cTAKES modules for temporal information extraction
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2012 15:59:09 GMT
As part of the THYME project [1], we're developing cTAKES modules for identifying events, times
and temporal relations. Where should these go? I see a few possibilities:

(1) We add a ctakes-temporal module to ctakes trunk. This is good because it's where the final
module will go, it makes it easy to compile with any cross-project dependencies, and anyone
makes any changes that break the ctakes-temporal code, they'll be immediately obvious with
compile errors. The downside might be that if it's not 100% ready for release by the time
the 3.0.0-incubating release rolls around, we need to find a way to exclude it from that release.

(2) We host it somewhere else and move it into ctakes when it's 100% ready for release. We're
already doing this now, at https://github.com/bethard/ctakes-temporal, but we could also put
it in the cTAKES sandbox. The downsides are that it's harder to get the cross-project dependencies
to work (especially on the command line with Maven and SNAPSHOT versions), that breaking changes
in cTAKES will only be visible to people who have separately checked out ctakes-temporal,
etc.

What do people think?

And in general, what should be the process for introducing new cTAKES modules?

Steve

[1] http://clear.colorado.edu/compsem/index.php?page=endendsystems&sub=temporal