From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: licensing question
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2012 17:29:59 GMT
Hello,

it depends on the texts you train it on, usually its a gray area. There
are corpora
which are very restrictive in this regard and only allow usage for research,
but that conflicts with the Apache License.

As far as I know do copyright laws on the source text not really apply here,
because the models just contain statistics or bigrams but no original text.

Anyway if you train on your own text and then release the model under AL 2.0
its safe to include it and distribute it.

At OpenNLP we decided to not distribute any models which are trained on
restricted
corpora at Apache without discussing it on the legal list first. But we
never spoke to them,
and I personally like the idea much more to produce open training data
which is
Apache friendly (e.g. based on wikinews or wikipeda).

HTH,
Jörn

On 10/04/2012 06:39 PM, Chen, Pei wrote:
> Hi Jorn,
> If we trained a model and included it as a resource within the ASF repo, just wanted
to confirm if that's acceptable in ASF even though it's in a binary format?