From "Bleeker, Troy C." <Bleeker.T...@mayo.edu>
Subject RE: ctakes-resources
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 14:50:58 GMT
This discussion speaks to the install cases and the vote we took in the SDG meetings. I agree
with putting the resources in one place. There is still a use case for the easiest adoption.
That is, probably a first time user that wants to kick the tires. For the best first experience,
is it best to include an all-in-one package, including the LVG and dictionary lookup, even
though it will take longer to download? If so, shouldn't they be co-located with the other
resources?

Thanks
Troy
-----Original Message-----
From: ctakes-dev-return-426-Bleeker.Troy=mayo.edu@incubator.apache.org [mailto:ctakes-dev-return-426-Bleeker.Troy=mayo.edu@incubator.apache.org]
On Behalf Of Chen, Pei
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 8:52 AM
To: ctakes-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: ctakes-resources

The downside of putting descriptors inside a jar/war is that you would need to recompile/re-jar
for simple xml changes.  I think for some, they might consider xml a configuration change
and not necessary a code change.  I wonder if that was the motivation of why if you create
a new UIMA nature, it puts it in a desc directory (let's dig into it a little bit, but probably
could go either way on that).

What about those larger resources such as LVG or Dictionary Lookup?  In my opinion, they probably
shouldn't even be versioned in the same spot as the java srcs... Perhaps an /incr directory
outside of trunk?  I would image something like /dictionarylook2011ab, /dictionaryloookup2012aa
doesn't need to be inside a particular release.