From "Finan, Sean" <Sean.Fi...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject RE: ctakes-resources
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 13:54:01 GMT
On September 25, 2012 3:20 AM, Steve Bethard wrote:

>In an ideal world, all resources (descriptors, models, etc.) would be distributed in the
jar file and referenced via Java's Class.getResource mechanism.

I agree with Steve: the Class.getResource method is a very useful tool.  Just as a point of
clarity, it only requires that the resource be in the classpath, and not in the same jar.
 If you implement a custom classloader then you have to be careful with this ...
In the installation of cTakes that I have, the jar is roughly 15 MB, while the resource directory
is roughly 1.4 GB.  This could be a faulty installation - I don't know.
In my experience the code and resources should not be in a single jar, especially if not all
resources are necessary for all "modules" of an app.  However, I come from a different background
where this kind of thing mattered a lot more than it does for a (smaller) app like cTakes,
where both code and resources were separated into jars, directories and files in such a manner
that they were only installed and available as needed.

Unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge of cTakes to post an educated vote on this matter,
I just wanted to put a little information in the thread in case it is useful to others.

Sean