From Steven Bethard <steven.beth...@Colorado.EDU>
Subject Re: licensing question
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2012 18:45:58 GMT
GPL, LGPL (http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html).

> Mallet is CPL I believe. By ASF policy, CPL falls in the category of reciprocal licenses.
I am not quite sure how reciprocal licensed tools work with Apache licensed tools.

Mallet claims to be CPL, but depends on Trove, which is LGPL. So Mallet is iffy.

Steve

> --Guergana

offer functionality for which there is no equivalent project with an apache license.  The
issue is much broader than just the berkeley parser, and reimplementing every non Apache-license
library would not be feasible in any reasonable time frame.  I'm curious as to how apache
projects that rely on Java EE - e.g. jetty and tomcat - deal with the licensing issue: they
must redistribute the Java EE api libraries, which I believe are not on the apache license.

> In particular, I don't know of any java based machine learning toolkits that would fit
the bill (correct me if I'm wrong, but mahout is designed for map reduce).  Libsvm is essential
to some of cTAKES' annotators.

> Other libraries that cTAKES uses are public domain (LVG, JAMA); I assume these don't
pose an issue for redistribution.

> Finally, users will have to download the SNOMED-CT/RXNORM dictionaries from an external
web site; why not bundle the non-apache libraries for redistribution there?