From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: licensing question
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2012 12:00:15 GMT
On 08/01/2012 01:01 PM, Miller, Timothy wrote:
> There was some chatter last week about resources potentially being downloaded via maven
for license compatibility reasons.  Just wondering if that brings about the possibility of
using external libraries that are not apache-licensed that would also be auto-downloaded under
certain maven build commands.  Specifically I was thinking of the GPL-licensed berkeley parser
which I've used to get significantly higher accuracy than the opennlp parser we currently
wrap in our constituency parser module.

Making scripts or maven build commands which download stuff is fine, but
it might
turn out to be quit limiting for your users which need the freedom of
the AL. That will be
a problem if Berkeley is the only option.

The HBase people for example have an optional dependency on LZO which is
GPL,
and people there just need to install and download it themselves.
See here:
http://hbase.apache.org/book/lzo.compression.html

Speaking as an OpenNLP committer now, it would of course be nice to make
our parser better.
If you want to work on that we will be happy to get some patches.

Jörn