From vijay garla <vnga...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: podling release managment
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2012 22:39:14 GMT
Regarding the LICENSE - I think going forward we should put some thought
into what UMLS sources to distribute with cTAKES in light of license
restrictions.  Especially put some thought if you want to check that in to
a publicly accessible SVN repository.

I think that it is OK to redistribute the RXNORM lucene index as this is a
restriction free (level 0) UMLS source vocabulary.  I do not think that it
is ok to distribute the SNOMED-CT HSQLDB - this requires that users agree
to a license (level 2).  I have to say that I am not a lawyer, and my head
hurts when I try to understand the NLM's UMLS/UTS license.

I know that to use the dictionary lookup with the distributed SNOMED-CT,
users need to enter their UMLS license.  That is may follow the spirit of
the UMLS license, but I'm not sure if that follows the letter.  Those
without a valid UMLS license could still access the data in the SNOMED-CT
HSQLDB files directly.

As an alternative, you could set up a separate download site (perhaps
outside of apache) that users could get the HSQLDB SNOMED-CT files from;
access to this download site would require a valid UMLS license.  This is
what we did for YTEX.

Best,

VJ