From "Whitacre,Micah" <MICAH.WHITA...@CERNER.COM>
Subject Intended use of Writables.register(…)
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2012 17:15:03 GMT
The situation I am going for is I want to end up with a PTable<UUID, Foo> so that I can
do various operations like groupByKey etc.  It is pretty trivial to implement a UUIDWritable
(someone posted an example impl)[1], but I'm trying to figure out how I could use Writables
and specifically the register(Class<T> clazz, WritableType<T, ? extends Writable>
ptype) method.  However since WritableType is package scoped I can't construct an instance
to register.  Should the register method be package scoped as well?  Should WritableType have
a public scope so that if I provide the two MapFn implementations + the Writable I can create
one on my own?

I have seen that I could use Writables.writables(…) however that would give me something
like PTable<UUIDWritable, Foo> instead.

Is there an easier way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?  UUID is pretty trivial and I
could almost see it being part of Writables but I'm using it for building up to more complex
items like Foo.

[1] - http://pastebin.com/NWbSFVvK