From "Roman V. Shapovalov" <shapova...@graphics.cs.msu.su>
Subject Saving collection to text files in Scrunch
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2012 14:34:26 GMT
Dear crunch-users,

I am trying to solve some toy MapReduce problem using Scrunch. When I
write the final result in the pipeline app, i.e. call

write(to.textFile(args(1)))

and get object names in the output file, like:

org.apache.avro.mapred.AvroWrapper@80
org.apache.avro.mapred.AvroWrapper@17a73

This happens only if I perform some mapping (even identity); just
reading and writing results in good strings in the file.

It seems that mapping wraps the strings using the AvroWrapper, but
writing to the text file does not unwrap them. Is it supposed to
unwrap them?

There is a factory method To.formattedFile() in Crunch (I guess it may
help, but it is not documented), but it is not ported to Scrunch. Is
there another idiom for writing strings?

Thanks in advance,
Roman