From Josh Wills <jwi...@cloudera.com>
Subject CRUNCH-2: The great package renaming
Date Sat, 07 Jul 2012 21:19:53 GMT
Hey everybody,

I hope you all are having a lovely weekend and are far, far away from your
IDEs and Hadoop clusters. With any luck, you won't read this email until
Monday morning when you sit down to work.

I am about to submit a patch for CRUNCH-2 (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CRUNCH-2 ), which does a global
renaming of all of the com.cloudera.crunch and com.cloudera.scrunch
packages to org.apache.crunch and org.apache.scrunch respectively, as well
as updating the license headers on all of the source files in order to
reflect that the copyright assignment on the code is to the ASF. We will
not be keeping the com.cloudera packages around for backwards
compatibility; going forward all the code should run against the
org.apache.* packages.

This doesn't quite complete the de-Clouderafication of Crunch: there are
existing JIRAs to track updating the pom.xml files for the examples/ and
scrunch/ components, and I will create additional ones for updating the
NOTICE and README files. I'm sure that there is other stuff I've missed
that we will update as well.

I know this is a disruptive change, and I apologize for the inconvenience.
It's better to get it out of the way now while the community is still small.

Josh

--
Director of Data Science
Cloudera <http://www.cloudera.com>