From Matthias Friedrich <m...@mafr.de>
Subject Incubator PMC/Board Report
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2013 10:10:21 GMT
Hi all,

here's a draft for our Incubator report. Is there anything else you'd
like to include? Please add/improve.

I'm going to post this to the Incubator wiki tomorrow unless there is
disagreement.

Regards,
  Matthias

Crunch

Crunch is a Java library for writing, testing, and running pipelines
of MapReduce jobs on Apache Hadoop.

Crunch entered incubation on 2012-05-29.

The most important steps towards graduation:

  - None

Nothing that currently requires IPMC attention.

Community:

The Apache Crunch development team has released version 0.4.0-incubating
in November, the second release at the Apache Incubator. We have worked
with the Apache BigTop project and our release is now part of Apache
BigTop 0.5.0. For our next release, we have discussed and agreed on some
large-scale API cleanup and implemented the necessary changes.

We have performed the podling name search - the name Apache Crunch has
been approved by the trademarks team. This has been our last blocker for
graduation and we expect to start the vote on incubator-general in
February.

Development activity around Christmas has been a bit lower than usual but
is now picking up again. There has been a significant increase of traffic
on crunch-user; it is great to see that more and more users show up, file
bug reports and contribute patches or test cases.

Development:

 - 53 issues were created on the Crunch JIRA in November
   to January, 39 issues have been resolved
 - crunch-dev has seen 615 emails in the reporting period,
   while 126 emails were posted to crunch-user