incubator-crunch-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Victor Iacoban <victor.iaco...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: graduation/release schedule
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2013 20:02:44 GMT
sure, I'll try crackle against crunch 0.5


On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Josh Wills <jwills@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Victor Iacoban
> <victor.iacoban@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Hey,
> >
> > I'd like to mention my pain point.
> > In some places crunch API is too restrictive: package private classes or
> > missing constructors.
>
>
> > Would be nice if these decisions would get reviewed before graduation,
> just
> > in case there is crazy interest in Apache Crunch post graduation and ppl
> > start extending it.
> >
>
> We can roll those discussions into the 0.5.0 release. There's nothing about
> graduation that
> would require us to freeze the APIs, we just wanted to get most of the
> heavy lifting done in the 0.5.0 release.
>
> If you have a list of ones you need access to, let's start a discussion on
> crunch-dev about making them accessible
> and/or finding alternative ways of meeting crackle's needs.
>
>
> > Except this very nice job!
> >
> > -- victor
> >
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 1:29 PM, Matthias Friedrich <matt@mafr.de>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > On Thursday, 2013-01-31, Josh Wills wrote:
> > > > I wanted to get opinions on two things that have been on my mind this
> > > week:
> > > >
> > > > 1) When to cut the 0.5.0 release, and
> > > > 2) When to graduate from the incubator.
> > > >
> > > > From my perspective, I would like to solve the HBase join issue on
> > Hadoop
> > > > 2.x before the 0.5.0 release, but I don't have any other blockers.
> > >
> > > We've done a lot of refactoring after the 0.4.0 release and I think
> > > the package structure is in pretty good shape now. If there are things
> > > you (or anyone else) would like to improve, then it would be a good
> > > idea to do this before the 0.5.0 release. My time is extremely limited
> > > right now - and will be for a couple more weeks at least - so I won't
> > > be able to work on that front. I'd make time to help with the release
> > > process though whenever you decide to cut the release.
> > >
> > > > For graduation, I'm personally ready to kick off the process now,
> > > although
> > > > I'm not sure we'll have made it through all of the ceremony stuff
> > before
> > > > the next board meeting (which I think is on February 20th.) So we may
> > > still
> > > > end up cutting one more release in the incubator before we leave.
> > >
> > > I'd give it a try as soon as possible, perhaps we can still make it in
> > > time.
> > >
> > > In any way we still have to do our incubator report. I could post a
> > > draft this weekend if that isn't too late.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >   Matthias
> > >
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Director of Data Science
> Cloudera <http://www.cloudera.com>
> Twitter: @josh_wills <http://twitter.com/josh_wills>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message