From Dmitriy Lyubimov <dlie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Flume R -- any interest?
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2012 18:22:52 GMT
I see the error in the logs but Pipeline.run() has never thrown anything.
isSucceeded() subsequently returns false. Is there any way to extract
client-side problem rather than just being able to state that job failed?
or it is ok and the only diagnostics by design?

============
68124 [Thread-8] INFO  org.apache.crunch.impl.mr.exec.CrunchJob  -
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.lib.input.InvalidInputException: Input path
does not exist: hdfs://localhost:11010/crunchr-example/input
at
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.lib.input.FileInputFormat.listStatus(FileInputFormat.java:231)
at
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.lib.input.FileInputFormat.getSplits(FileInputFormat.java:248)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.writeNewSplits(JobClient.java:944)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.writeSplits(JobClient.java:961)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.access$500(JobClient.java:170)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient$2.run(JobClient.java:880)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient$2.run(JobClient.java:833)
at
org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1157)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.submitJobInternal(JobClient.java:833)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Job.submit(Job.java:476)
at
org.apache.crunch.hadoop.mapreduce.lib.jobcontrol.CrunchControlledJob.submit(CrunchControlledJob.java:331)
at org.apache.crunch.impl.mr.exec.CrunchJob.submit(CrunchJob.java:135)
at
org.apache.crunch.hadoop.mapreduce.lib.jobcontrol.CrunchJobControl.startReadyJobs(CrunchJobControl.java:251)
at
org.apache.crunch.hadoop.mapreduce.lib.jobcontrol.CrunchJobControl.run(CrunchJobControl.java:279)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Dmitriy Lyubimov <dlieu.7@gmail.com> wrote:

> for hadoop nodes i guess yet another option to soft-link the .so into
> hadoop's native lib folder
>

> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Dmitriy Lyubimov <dlieu.7@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I actually want to defer this to hadoop admins, we just need to create a
>> procedure for setting up nodes. Ideally as simple as possible. something
>> like
>>
>> 1) setup R
>> 2) install.packages("rJava","RProtoBuf","crunchR")
>> 3) R CMD javareconf
>> 3) add result of R --vanilla <<< 'system.file("jri", package="rJava") to
>> either mapred command lines or LD_LIBRARY_PATH...
>>
>> but it will depend on their versions of hadoop, jre etc. I hoped crunch
>> might have something to hide a lot of that complexity (since it is about
>> hiding complexities, for the most part :)  ) besides hadoop has a way to
>> ship .so's to the backend so if crunch had an api to do something similar
>> it is conceivable that driver might yank and ship it too to hide that
>> complexity as well. But then there's a host of issues how to handle
>> potentially different rJava versions installed on different nodes... So, it
>> increasingly looks like something we might want to defer to sysops to do
>> with approximate set of requirements .
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Josh Wills <jwills@cloudera.com> wrote:

>>> command
>>> for

>>> (again).

>>> run
>>> >

>>> Not off the top of my head. I suspect that whatever you come up with will
>>> become the "best practice." :)

>>> process

>>> an
>>> that?

>>> and
>>> for
>>> will
>>> (well it

>>> lass

>>> dlieu.7@gmail.com>

>>> from R
>>> approach
>>> stick
>>> knows

>>> before

>>> as

>>> jwills@cloudera.com>

jars (or external
>>> class
addiitonal jar to
>>> need

unlikely work here
>>> since
but rather have to
>>> definitions
that's too
>>> cumbersome
>>> be
(mahout-like)
>>> when

Lyubimov <

part this week
>>> then

Josh Wills <

Dmitriy Lyubimov <

I take it is in a fairly
the  FlumeJava paper is
>>> working ,
not working specifically?

paper that we don't have
>>> in a
just a question of

PM, Josh Wills <

forward to playing with

1:28 PM, Dmitriy Lyubimov <

>>> https://github.com/dlyubimov/crunchR

not compile R artifact . R
>>> profile
it is enabled by
>>> supplying -DR

that installs the snapshot
>>> version
module.

JRI java dependencies which i did
>>> not
so it is installed into my
>>> github
for 3rd party.

R, RJava and optionally,
roxygen2 (i think).

fails to import into
i put @import RProtoBuf into
"Suggests" category. Down the
>>> road

not much else has been done
>>> so
adding it to the package path on
adding Crunch jars and its
crunchR's java part...

stealth at this point.

at 12:35 PM, Dmitriy Lyubimov <
try to roll project template by
>>> some
with prototyping and benchmarking
as parallelDo().

is to perhaps take some more or
>>> less
demonstrate it can be solved with
be) in a comparable time
>>> (performance)
code. (say one of factorization or

2012 at 10:24 PM, Rahul <

much of R user but I am interested to
>>> see how
I would be happy to help.

04:04, Josh Wills wrote:

> [...]
Oct 17, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Dmitriy
>>> Lyubimov <

ok.

imagine it has to be an R module so I can set
>>> up a
java/R code tree (I have been doing that a
>>> lot
a template to look at, it would be useful i

go right ahead.

Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Josh Wills <

I'd like it to be separate at first, but I am
>>> happy

repo?

On Oct 17, 2012 2:57 PM, "Dmitriy Lyubimov" <

Ok maybe there's a benefit to try a JRI/RJava
> [...]
Crunch for something simple. This should both
>>> save

disprove if Crunch via RJava integration is

On my part i can try to do it within Crunch

it completely separate.

-d

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Josh Wills <

wrote:

I am an avid R user and would be into it--
>>> who

Murray Stokely?

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Dmitriy

wrote:

Hello,

I was pretty excited to learn of Google's

flume java on one of recent BARUGs. I think

similar to what we do in Mahout could be

I did not quite get the details of Google

mapping,

but i am not sure if just a direct mapping
>>> from

sufficient (and, for most part, efficient).

be a pretty terrible performer to do that

on top of it, I am thinknig if this project

adapter to Mahout's distributed matrices,
>>> that

good synergy.

Is there anyone interested in

version of flume R support? Just gauging

like a natural place to poke.

Thanks .

-Dmitriy

--