From Gabriel Reid <gabriel.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving PType and friends
Date Sat, 27 Oct 2012 19:49:19 GMT

On 27 Oct 2012, at 18:06, Matthias Friedrich <matt@mafr.de> wrote:

> we have made some progress cleaning up javadocs and some packages, but
> there are a few more things I'd like to do. Right now, not all
> abstractions are in the base package, which means they won't be on the
> same javadoc package page and users won't recognize them as core
> concepts.
>
> Thus, I propose to move the PType, PTypeFamily, PTableType, Converter,
> and OutputHandler types to the base package. This would have the
> advantage that the .types and .io packages would become pure
> implementation packages, breaking package dependency cycles. We could
> then hide the .types package from the javadoc overview page because
> nothing there would be client-facing anymore.

I'm on board with the moving of PType, PTypeFamily, and PTableType classes
to the base package (although it seems a shame because the package name
that they're in already got changed once).

However, I'm less sure about moving Converter and OutputHandler, as I don't
really see these as core (external) abstractions. It kind of feels like moving those
will just clutter up the base package.

- Gabriel