From Josh Wills <jwi...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Focus of our next release?
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2012 00:48:57 GMT
Gonna send out inlined replies to these separately, and in reverse order.

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 7:44 AM, Matthias Friedrich <matt@mafr.de> wrote:

> On Saturday, 2012-09-15, Rahul wrote:
> [...]
> > I also want to know when do we want to make the next release ? Will
> > it be linked to the things that we want to fix or do we have a set
> > time-frame ? I feel that the next release should not take much long.
>
> I think one release per quarter sounds reasonable iff enough changes
> have accumulated to warrant going through the release process. The
> one-time setup stuff is done, but performing the release is still
> time consuming and can't be fully automated.
>
> Josh, how many hours did the release process take approximately,
> everything included?

I wasn't really keeping track, just because I was doing other stuff while
the release commands ran in the background. I think if you include my
various screw-ups and learning how tools worked, it took about 6 hours, all
in. The setup work that Matthias did makes performing a release
ridiculously easy-- I just need to augment the wiki material w/the release
candidate stuff and how to handle creating new RCs if the first one is a
no-go.

I'm up for monthly releases if we have enough material to justify it,
primarily because I'm interested in exiting the incubator just as soon as
humanly possible.

--
Director of Data Science
Cloudera <http://www.cloudera.com>