From Matthias Friedrich <m...@mafr.de>
Subject Re: Release preparations: Branching model
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 17:14:24 GMT
Hi Josh,

On Friday, 2012-08-10, Josh Wills wrote:
> Thanks for humoring me on this. It doesn't seem to me that there is any way
> to avoid the multi-directional merge issue, right? If we have two releases
> and master branch and we find a bug that needs to be fixed in the first
> release, we still have to do a couple of complex merges to fix it on 1.0
> and 2.0 and master, right? What does that workflow look like?

Yes, if you're maintaining more than one release line then you can't
prevent merges flowing in multiple directions in general.

When I get into a situation where I have to fix a bug on release
branches 1.0 and 2.0 and the main line, I would fix it on 2.0 first
because 2.0 is closer to main, making the merge easier. Then I'd
try to merge from main to 1.0, unless they differ so much already
that I have to re-implement the fix on 1.0.

That is, unless external influences force me to do it differently.
For example, if 1.0 is in production and 2.0 is just being tested
by QA.

Supporting multiple releases is generally unpleasant, no matter
which workflow you use. I can remember we once had to support three
release lines concurrently. No fun at all.

Regards,
  Matthias