From Matthias Friedrich <m...@mafr.de>
Subject Release preparations: Branching model
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2012 16:52:01 GMT
Hi,

next small item on my release TODO list is a little bit of software
configuration management: We should decide on how we want to deal
with branches and tags.

I don't have much experience with git, but I'd suggest a simple model
that most people are already familiar with. An old blog article of
mine describes this [1] (it's the second strategy discussed). There
are more complex models (people write lengthy papers about them) but
I've never really needed more than this. It's important to have clear
conventions that don't cause headaches or require advanced tool
mastery.

Maven's release plugin supports this process perfectly, but I admit I
haven't used it with git before (with Subversion and Mercurial it
worked fine). If you want to take this approach, I'd document it on a
wiki page and post the link here for review.

What do you think?

Thanks,
  Matthias

[1] http://blog.mafr.de/2007/04/25/release-management/