From Matthias Friedrich <m...@mafr.de>
Subject Maven site markup language
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2012 18:22:37 GMT
Hi,

I set up the new Maven site using Markdown because we already had one
document in Markdown syntax. I think before we add more documentation
we should decide for a Doxia module [1] before it's too late :)

With Doxia we have the following alternatives:

XDoc is the old Maven 1 format that is still used by many Apache
projects. It uses XML which makes it a bit unpleasant to use,
especially for code examples.

APT is the main Maven 2 format. We use it extensively at work, but
it's the worst plain-text markup language I've ever used. You can get
used to it though and it works.

Markdown is pretty popular on Github. It has its weird corners and
the Doxia module seems pretty young. The error messages it generates
weren't very helpful to me and breadcrumbs are broken (do we need
them?).

Confluence/Textile has the advantage that you *might* be able to copy
and paste stuff from the wiki to the Maven site. I don't know how
well the module works.

So, which one do you want to use?

Regards,
  Matthias