From Josh Wills <josh.wi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Object reuse in Reducer and impact in Crunch
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2012 21:41:48 GMT
Yeah, that's no good. I had a similar case w/a project my intern was
working on, where he created a PType that was:

PType<Pair<K, V>> kv = pairs(strings(), strings());
tableOf(kv, kv);

... which also fails because the output mapfn returned by kv is
stateful. Easy to remedy it in the code, but confusing for the user in
the same way. It would be nice for the PType to know if their MapFns
were stateful so that a new instance of them could be returned each
time PType.getInputMapFn or getOutputMapFn was called.

{

>          @Override
>          public Pair<Integer, SimpleStringWritable> map(String input) {
>            return Pair.of(1, asSimple(input));
>          }
>
>        }, Writables.tableOf(Writables.ints(),
> Writables.writables(SimpleStringWritable.class))
>
>        ).collectValues().materializeToMap();
>
>    assertEquals(1, collectionMap.size());
>
>    // The actual content will just be ["e", "e", "e", "e"]
>    assertEquals(Lists.newArrayList("a", "b", "c", "e"),
> simplesToList(collectionMap.get(1)));
>  }
>

> }
>

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:28 PM, Josh Wills <jwills@cloudera.com> wrote:
>> Gabriel,
>>
>> Generally agree with your line of thought-- where is the attached test case?

>> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Gabriel Reid <gabriel.reid@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> As you may have seen, the topic of the PTable#collectValues method came up today
in the user mailing list. I hadn't been aware of this method before, and when I took a closer
look I saw that it just creates a Collection of values based on the incoming Iterable, without
doing any kind of a deep copy of the contents of the Iterable. As far as I can see, something
similar (i.e. holding on to values from an Iterable from a reducer) is also done in the Join
methods.

>>> As Christian also pointed out (and added to the documentation for DoFn), this
can be an issue, as values made available as an Iterable in a reducer are re-used within Hadoop.

>>> This object re-use isn't a problem in Crunch wherever a non-identity mapping
is used between the serialization type and the PCollection type within the PType (for example,
with primitives and String). However, using Writable types or non-mapped Avro types won't
work (as shown in the attached test case).

>>> I think it's definitely a problem that PTable#collectValues (and probably some
other methods) doesn't work for Writables, or in a broader sense, that the semantics can change
for the Iterable that is passed in when processing a grouped table.

>>> One really easy (but also inefficient) way we could solve this would be to not
use an IdentityFn as the default mapping function in Writables and AvroType, and instead use
a MapFn that does a deep copy of the object (i.e. by serializing and deserializing itself
in memory). This is of course a pretty big overhead for a something that isn't necessary in
a lot of cases.

>>> Another option I was considering was to do something like making the input and
output PTypes of a DoFn available to the DoFn, and adding a createDetachedValue method (or
something similar) to PType, which would then serialize and deserialize objects in order to
make a clone if necessary. With this approach, the clone method would have to be called within
the collectValues method (or any other method that is holding on to values outside of the
iterator).

>>> I prefer the second approach, as it avoids the the waste of extra cloning/serialization
while still making it possible to get detached values out of an Iterable.