From Tom White <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: avro 1.7.0: should we upgrade crunch?
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2012 20:47:44 GMT
Funny - I was just writing an email about potential dragons...

Before upgrading someone should check that Avro 1.7.0 works with
released versions of Hadoop. In the past there have been problems with
Avro and dependencies like Jackson conflicting with versions that
Hadoop uses. In particular, the MR classpath can be controlled via the
configuration property mapreduce.user.classpath.first and the env
property HADOOP_USER_CLASSPATH_FIRST. By setting these to true MR will
use the newer Avro libraries, however there is a risk that Hadoop will
not work with the newer versions.

Cheers,
Tom