From Tom White <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Checkstyle & Reviews
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2012 21:01:40 GMT
On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 3:27 AM, Gabriel Reid <gabriel.reid@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 for a style guide and/or formatting rules and coding rules.
>
> For code style, something that I've seen work well (at least if everyone is using Eclipse)
is to just have a shared code style definition that you can import into Eclipse, and then
set Eclipse to apply that style whenever you save a file. This works great if everyone uses
the same style definition, and breaks down rapidly if they don't.

> I don't have any experience using the maven-findbugs-plugin, but I do find the Checkstyle
useful, as long as the settings are sane (which is not always the case).

We've had a good experience with Checkstyle in Apache Whirr. The way
we have it set up is to fail the package build if there are Checkstyle
errors. The relevant POM for doing that is at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/whirr/trunk/pom.xml

Tom