From Kevin Cernekee <cerne...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Detecting whether SSL is being used
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2014 04:59:57 GMT
On Aug 12, 2014, at 2:43 PM, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:
> > On Aug 12, 2014, at 1:57 PM, Kevin Cernekee <cernekee@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The ACRA package includes a JavaScript list function[1] which
> > generates an RSS feed.  The resultant XML document needs to contain
> > absolute URLs to other documents in the CouchDB instance.
>
> It's valid for a feed to contain relative URLs with absolute paths; this
> can help avoid needing knowledge of the server's hostname or SSL status.
>
> For example, the URL of an article is allowed to be
> "/db/article1/body.html" instead of
> "https://example.com/db/article1/body.html". The feed processor will
> interpret this relative to the base URL of the website.

When I ran a quick test it looked like Firefox did not recognize the
relative link in this feed:

http://kpc.nocostwebhost.com/rss.php

http://imgur.com/ZPc982A

The RSS specs are a little disorganized, but 0.91 does say:

> must start with either "http://" or "ftp://". All other urls are
> considered invalid.

This is in the "Netcenter Usage" section, so that might not be relevant anymore:

http://scripting.com/netscapeDocs/RSS%200_91%20Spec,%20revision%203.html#link

So, assuming I still want to display the fully qualified URL, what is
the best option?

Thanks.