From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Control view query performance
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2014 18:50:36 GMT

On Jul 14, 2014, at 11:29 AM, I wrote:

> Really? I thought that the map function would be run in parallel on several documents
at once. Seems like an obvious way to speed up view updates; after all, map/reduce as popularized
by Google is intended to be a massively parallel algorithm…)

Sorry, I realize I’ve fallen prey to the “any problem I haven’t worked on must be trivial”
attitude, a common pitfall of engineers. :-p

I’m sure there are good reasons this hasn’t been implemented yet, including the fact that
JSVMs are single-threaded so you’d have to spin up several of them to be able to run map
functions in parallel.
But it would be a good optimization at some point, considering the large number of CPU cores
that today’s server boxes have.

—Jens