From Ryan Ramage <ryan.ram...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Humble feature proposal: a little hierarchy solution with `_parent` field and parents passed to mapfun
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2014 17:42:09 GMT
On the surface this proposal sounds appealing, but it has some major flaws.

One key principle of couch's map reduce is that map functions must be
referentially transparent. Given the same input document, it must produce
the same result.

The linkage you suggest would break this principle. The other document
could be at a different revision than you imagine it to be, or be changing.
The id itself does not describe the state of the input document. The only
way it might work is if you provide an _id and a _rev as a link but I still
would not recommend going down this path. It is of a single couchdb
instance. You can imagine scenarios where filtered replications dont
replicate parent docs. In a multi-couch environment and with replication
trying to manage related docs does not scale.