From Suraj Kumar <suraj.ku...@inmobi.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for new feature: Auto Update Functions
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2014 05:13:37 GMT
On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 3:00 AM, Robert Samuel Newson <rnewson@apache.org>
wrote:

> The main trouble is loops. If couchdb edits the doc after the user edits
> it, this edit is also replicated out to wherever you replicate to, which
> will make this edit again, and then back again, and then back again.
>
> In couchdb, by design, one request causes one action, not multiple, not
> loops. We should think very carefully about changing that. This proposal
> (and its been proposed before in other guises) seems to suffer a fatal flaw.

What if this is written to not interfere with replicator? ie., this is a
sequential update done just before doc is written to disk and this does not
happen in the replicator pathway at all (ie., when another
auto-update-handler of a remote machine does it, the nodes pulling this
change will store it as-is). Also, this means this edit is in the
synchronous path, just like how VDU calls are in the synchronous path.

does that make sense?

Regards,

  -Suraj

--
An Onion is the Onion skin and the Onion under the skin until the Onion
Skin without any Onion underneath.

receipt.