From James Green <>
Subject Re: Test Plan - CouchDB
Date Mon, 05 May 2014 13:24:54 GMT
On 2 May 2014 09:23, Alexander Shorin <> wrote:

> Hi Danilo,
> AFAIK JMeter has issues with handling requests workflow: when you need
> to make different requests in specific order, like (for couchdb) check
> document availability, create document, update it several times with
> different params and carrying revision token, delete document.
> I can suggest you to take tsung[1] or Yandex.tank[2]: both are
> suitable for creating complex benchmarks that simulates real activity
> and specific workflows. If you need to perform just load test, pick
> something like wrk.
> As for MongoDB I couldn't say for sure since it uses own binary
> protocol. I fear you have to write your own benchmark client against
> it or looking for existed ones or making plugin for existed benchmark
> tools or whatever.
> [1]:
> [2]:
> --
> ,,,^..^,,,
> On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 12:17 AM, Danilo Tavares
> <> wrote:
> > hello,
> >

> > I need to perform some tests on MongoDB and CouchDB, but do not know any
> > tool that serves you both. Does anyone know if Apache JMeter can also be
> > used in the Couch? Or know another tool?
> >

> > Thanks.
> >

> > --
> >         *  Danilo M. Tavares*
> >
> > *         Eletrotécnico**Graduando em C. da Computação*

Hello Danilo,

It is possible to use a ForEach controller in one or more thread groups to
automate creating databases and documents in CouchDB with JMeter using a
HTTP sampler.  Adding a HTTP Request Defaults node and a HTTP Cookie
Manager node (if you want to include authentication in your tests) to your
test plan can be a time saver when running against CouchDB.

To Alexander's point about simulating specific workflows it is possible in
JMeter to use a regex to extract values from a GET, assign them to a
variable and use those variables in later PUTs but I can see how that could
quickly get out of hand as complexity rises.  However if you just need to
create a volume of traffic against CouchDB and MongoDB*, JMeter can be just
the ticket.

Ping me off the list if you need a JMX test plan to get started with for

hope this helps,
- James

* I personally haven't used the MongoDB Script sampler, but note that one
comes in the box.