From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Help understanding crash log
Date Thu, 01 May 2014 13:18:30 GMT
On May 1, 2014, at 8:47 AM, Interactive Blueprints <p.van.der.eems@interactiveblueprints.nl>
wrote:

>> Thanks Adam,
>>
>> It seems like it is happening again, with more info this time.  It looks like I am
hitting some sort of system limit, can anyone point out where to look next?

> Just guessing here..
> What could be is that you hit the max open file limit of your system.
> With "ulimit -a" you can see the limits on your system.
> Usually the max open file limit is somewhere around 1024.
> I noticed that couchdb loves to have a lot of files open simultaneously.
>
> Iin the same shell you start couchdb, right before you start couchdb,
> you can do a "ulimit -a 4096" (or another large value), this should
> give coudhb the ability to open more files.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pieter van der Eems
> Interactive Blueprints

That's a good thought Pieter, though typically in that case you'll see an 'emfile' error in
the logs. This particular system_limit error (with {erlang, spawn_link, ...} following it)
occurs when the Erlang VM has reached the maximum number of processes it's allowed to spawn.
Judging from the *long* list of processes linked to couch_httpd in this stacktrace I'd say
Herman's client is improperly leaving connections open. Herman, did you intend to have 1000s
of open TCP connections on this server? Regards,

Adam