From Dave Cottlehuber <...@skunkwerks.at>
Subject Re: Installation Problem CouchDB Webfaction
Date Wed, 21 May 2014 22:03:00 GMT
On Mon, 19 May 2014, at 03:33 PM, Rinat Tainov wrote:
> Thanks Dave, I tried with re-written  instructions, but had errors
> building
> CouchDB here a
> link<https://docs.google.com/document/d/15MWPUjwVot2Mi4XLHxqKnY0ssIn4QnJxLq6f-Ua7wwU/edit?usp=sharing>for
> log.
> Googled, it recommends to recompile with OTP R14B04, erl gives:
>
> Erlang R14B04 (erts-5.8.5) [source] [64-bit] [smp:8:8] [rq:8]
> [async-threads:0] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]
>
> Eshell V5.8.5  (abort with ^G)
>
> Here<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B74UOzHjWjJ8U2g3bDVIODd2Smc/edit?usp=sharing>exact
> instruction I used.
>
> What went wrong?

Hi Rinat,

Thanks for that.

Looking at what errors are there suggests you *might* have more than one
erlang version installed, or that a previous installation hasn't been
successfully removed. Try rm -rf both erlang and couchdb dirs, confirm
with 'which erl' that there's no other existing installation, and build
them from scratch again from a fresh tarball. The build script looks
sensible enough.

To have a better idea of what's not working, I'd need to see *full*
output of the build -- from unpacking the tarball, through running
configure (what options, how erlang was detected/selected) as well as
the build steps for couchdb too.

To be honest if you're not comfortable yet with installing software from
source then I'd suggest using a web hosting company that runs ubuntu and
allows you to install couchdb via 'apt-get install -y couchdb' -- latest
14.04 would be perfect, or alternatively the 12.04 LTS release, and use
the packaged binaries at
https://blogs.apache.org/couchdb/entry/packages_for_ubuntu_12_04 which
will get you up and running very quickly. Amazon EC2 is one example of
many with this, and they offer a free micro plan for new signups
https://aws.amazon.com/free/

Trying to debug a failed install on a shared hosting platform is not
very productive for either of us :-)

A+
Dave