From "Knudsen, Ken" <Ken.Knud...@imaginecommunications.com>
Subject RE: Bench marking a simple 10k write
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2014 10:41:56 GMT
Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it. I understand to use Bulk-Import, I've done my
reading (just in case you think I'm being lazy :) ) ... what I'm trying to run tests for (get
some numbers, throw them into a chart), a persons current thinking pattern, is someone high
up that's either had a bad experience with the early days of NoSQL (MongoDB to be exact)...and
because of this, is dead set against the whole word 'NoSQL'... at that level, charts and numbers
is all they pay attention too. So I'm just trying to put together an enlightening sea of pictures
that will show that's not the case. I know it's not the case.

The micro tests are just one set of the pictures.. I do have a full TSung test bed happening
as well... A simple rest service with a few methods... Each testing 1 call to their respective
database (SQL, ArangoDB, CouchDB, MongoDB)...Then in TSung I setup a test client to make 10k
iteration of calls to the REST service (simple initial setup, 1 user)...where each call inserts
1 document...Now, under this senario, the SQL Server comes in last....It takes 2.33 mins to
execute 10k of calls. CouchDB takes less then a minute and ArangoDB comes in at about 33 seconds.
I find it interesting as a more real distributed test bed is put into play, that the power
of the NoSQL databases start to come alive.

thanks again!

Ken
From: Stanley Iriele [siriele2x3@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2014 6:23 AM
To: user@couchdb.apache.org
Subject: Re: Bench marking a simple 10k write

I believe most clients use keep alive by default but what I'm saying is
that he's running the test in nunit (to my understanding) of its in the
same loop or whatever then it should be using keep alive...but the nunits
tear down the class and its resources per run. So even if the default
library uses keep a lives its still freshly created each time