From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is the revision field deterministic?
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2014 10:48:44 GMT
On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 3:36 AM, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2014, at 8:34 AM, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Jens, is that was another uncanny attempt to adv. unrelated product
>> without providing relevant information? These actions only confuses
>> people forcing them thinking that Couchbase and CouchDB are the
>> similar products while they don't.
>
> Nope. Couchbase *Lite* and CouchDB _are_ very similar. They have the exact same data
model, a 95% similar REST API*, and can replicate with each other. (The implementations are
entirely different, though, because Couchbase Lite is meant to be embedded in mobile apps.)

> Couchbase Lite is at least as similar to CouchDB as PouchDB is, and no one complains
about PouchDB being mentioned here.

> Couchbase *Server* is a different beast entirely. It was wrong of me to discuss it here
last week; apologies again.

> I know the names are confusing. Couchbase-the-company was named back when it was very
much about CouchDB, which then changed for complicated technical reasons. Couchbase Lite was
originally called TouchDB, but was renamed for branding/marketing reasons outside my control.

> —Jens
>
> * CBL is missing some of the admin features, like user accounts and _restart, that don’t
make sense for an embedded database; and it adds a couple of replication optimizations that
I’ve been discussing on the ‘replication’ list here.

Hm..Naming becomes confused. While I'm aware about TouchDB,
personally, as user, I thought that Couchbase Lite is some kind
version of Couchbase product. Couchbase Lite for small business,
Couchbase Server for enterprise one. That's a bit surprise to see them
different, especially when everywhere Couchbase name becomes promoted
without "edition" part.

I'm sorry for my tone in this case. Would you have some time to create
an article in CouchDB wiki about comparison CBL with CouchDB and with
few words about why CBS isn't the same to bring to the end confusion
between Couchbase and CouchDB? It would be still good call to maintain
comparison chart between CouchDB and similar, compatible and friendly
products.

Thank you for branding clarification.

--