From James Green <james.gr...@servessence.com>
Subject Re: AdventureWorks DB Alternative?
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2014 05:35:35 GMT
On 27 October 2013 14:44, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:

> On Oct 26, 2013, at 3:05 PM, Chad Cross <chadcross@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Essentially, a standard data set for CRUD-type applications.
>
> There's the beer database that comes with Couchbase Server; I have a
> CouchDB-compatible copy of it that you can pull from
> http://sync.couchbasecloud.com/beer-db/ . It's got about 5000 documents
> that describe different beers and breweries. (Much more interesting than
> that boring old Microsoft database!)
>
> It's public domain AFAIK. The data originally came from
> openbeerdatabase.com .
>
> --Jens

Hi friends,

Sorry for resurrecting a zombie topic, but I had noted this one to come
back to once I had a little bit of spare time.  Did this idea gain any
momentum?  If so, need a hand?  If not, anyone mind if I take a stab at it?
:-)

I also come from a SQL Server background and think that AdventureWorks is
certainly useful in that universe and may well be in the CouchDb universe
too.  For those unfamiliar, it is designed to be the back-office database
for the fictitious AdventureWorks firm and is useful for practical
scenarios like HR (e.g. employee pay history) and a reasonably
sophisticated manufacturing & sales business.

It has fewer warts that its predecessor 'pubs' (ick!) and isn't massive,
but does have a meaningful volume of safely fake data and can be derived
from under Ms-PL.  I feel sample databases help adoption, and perhaps an
A.W. implementation might help .NET folks from a relational background get
up to speed with CouchDB quicker...

Cheers
James

PS:  Pleased to see Aussie beers were not forgotten in the open beer db :-)