From Dale Harvey <d...@arandomurl.com>
Subject Re: Is the revision field deterministic?
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2014 23:56:08 GMT
Yup I almost mentioned PouchDB when I seen this thread come up, from an
external implementors perspective it isnt great that CouchDB uses the
internal erlang binary term format to create revisions, its possible to
implement it compatibly but decided against it due to extra deps +
complexity

>From an API perspective I believe its a leaky abstraction, I havent tested
this but it seems like if the binary term format changes between erlang
versions then the same code can have different behaviour, similiarly
possible between couch versions.

Also I just dont think its a great idea, by not conflicting the users loses
information, its easy for audit software to force conflicts by adding the
target id to the documents, but yeh it still makes me feel weird.

And yup while unfortunately named, Couchbase Lite is very much along the
same lines as PouchDB, with a different target platform. (we even stole the
same replication optimisations :))

Cheers
Dale