From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Is the revision field deterministic?
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2014 23:36:11 GMT

On Apr 8, 2014, at 8:34 AM, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jens, is that was another uncanny attempt to adv. unrelated product
> without providing relevant information? These actions only confuses
> people forcing them thinking that Couchbase and CouchDB are the
> similar products while they don't.

Nope. Couchbase *Lite* and CouchDB _are_ very similar. They have the exact same data model,
a 95% similar REST API*, and can replicate with each other. (The implementations are entirely
different, though, because Couchbase Lite is meant to be embedded in mobile apps.)

Couchbase Lite is at least as similar to CouchDB as PouchDB is, and no one complains about
PouchDB being mentioned here.

Couchbase *Server* is a different beast entirely. It was wrong of me to discuss it here last
week; apologies again.

I know the names are confusing. Couchbase-the-company was named back when it was very much
about CouchDB, which then changed for complicated technical reasons. Couchbase Lite was originally
called TouchDB, but was renamed for branding/marketing reasons outside my control.

—Jens

* CBL is missing some of the admin features, like user accounts and _restart, that don’t
make sense for an embedded database; and it adds a couple of replication optimizations that
I’ve been discussing on the ‘replication’ list here.