From Diogo Júnior <diogo.jun...@fraunhofer.pt>
Subject RE: Optimizing Couchdb Performance
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2014 15:10:56 GMT
Any other comments or considerations that the community might have regarding my current implementation
status?

btw, there is any tool that you use to monitor couchdb performance (on-the-fly tool with statistics
being updated automatically) ?

Thanks,
--
Eng.º Diogo Júnior
Researcher | R&D Department

Fraunhofer Portugal AICOS
Edifício Central Rua Alfredo Allen, 455/461
4200-135 Porto Portugal
How to find us
Phone: +351 22 0408 300
www: www.fraunhofer.pt

From: Andy Dorman [adorman@ironicdesign.com]
Sent: 08 April 2014 15:06
To: user@couchdb.apache.org
Subject: Re: Optimizing Couchdb Performance

On 04/08/2014 05:33 AM, Diogo Júnior wrote:
> Well, let's start with the following, I'm using a pattern that might not be scalable
( I would like to have your opinion on this).... I have a database per user ( in my case my
user has a device and each device database is always synchronized with the correspondent server
database). So, one db per user. Is it good or not? What might be the drawbacks?

You can not do queries across databases.

At one time I considered doing a separate database per user because I
need to limit user access to just their info and that was the only way I
could think of to do it without writing a server middle layer to control
access.  Turned out that I need to write that middle layer for other
reasons, so we switched back to a single db with a document per user.
This allows us to easily do queries involving multiple users.

FWIW SQL databases have the same issues of course...but in the SQL world
you would never consider creating a new database (at least I would not)
for each user.

--
Andy Dorman